Scanner Question, Help Please!

thomas610

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi All,

I'm thinking of buying a second hand scanner to convert negatives to digital. The one i'm looking at is in full working condition and looks in perfect cosmetic condition. The owner says he's had it a while and my only worry is that the scanning quality may not be as sharp as when it was first purchased. Does scanning quality degrade over time with older scanners or do I have nothing to worry about as long as the scanner works etc.?

Thanks

Tom

Brand? Model? Format(35mm? 120? 4x5?)Your computer/OS?

Sorry, should have made that clearer!

Epson V550, for 35mm scans with USB connection! Scanner is 3 years old and has done about 150x36 scans!

Sorry, should have made that clearer!

Epson V550, for 35mm scans with USB connection! Scanner is 3 years old and has done about 150x36 scans!

The V550 has LED lamps and not cold cathode fluorescent lamps. LED's will dim, but only near the end of their life cycle. Which in most cases is a very long time (decades of moderate use).

Epson makes some great scanners. As long as its working, the V550 will do great

As far as degrading, my V700 is 10 years old and was used heavily in a commercial setting and still works and scans just fine.

Agree with these folks. My V500 is 6 years old and hasn't shown any deterioration with moderate hobby use.

I have a worse and older scanner than that. Recently discovered that using the silver fast se8+ software made a world of difference in the scan quality.

I have a worse and older scanner than that. Recently discovered that using the silver fast se8+ software made a world of difference in the scan quality.
I run Silverfast in my Nikon Super Coolscan. Thinking of buying it for my Epson 4990. The V850 had been out for a long time. Was wondering if they were going to update to newer model. So was waiting for that. But it doesn't appear they are going too upgrade them.

My v600 is newer and sees light use (so cannot speak to older scanners) but I wanted to chime in that Epson makes some great scanners! Really impressed.

6x9 scan from a V500 at least 5 years old good as the day i bought it

248-XL.jpg

Most reactions

Back