Scanning 35mm negatives at home

PJL

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
For those of you who do it, what scanner are you using and what do you think of it? I shoot both color and B&W, and I'm getting to the point where picking up a scanner would be more economical than getting CDs when I develop. Thanks.

For those of you who do it, what scanner are you using and what do you think of it? I shoot both color and B&W, and I'm getting to the point where picking up a scanner would be more economical than getting CDs when I develop. Thanks.

I needed a printer that would make good quality 8x10 glossy (both BW & Color), so I
purchased a Canon MP990. It has a flm scanner built into the top of it that produces
very good scans.

Canon Pixma MP990 review

i've been using a canon 8800f. It can scan 35mm and 120mm, and is reasonably priced.

I don't scan much 35mm any more...I'm still limping along with a Minolta ScanDual...

I had an epson 750m. it allows wet mount if you want to get real fancy.

I use the Nikon Coolscan V ED and am quite please with its performance; makes a 70Mb tiff of one image with excellent resolution.

V700 is good for quanity, since you can scan 24 negatives at a time. Hand fed 35mm film scanners typically hold the film flatter and hence produce slightly better results, but are SLOW to use.

i am in the same boat as the original poster, i know alot of the flat bed scanners do great with MF but not so great with 35mm, after much research i decided to go with the canon pixma mp990, i cant wait to get it, should be here in two days. ive heard it scans 35mm well and on top of that its an awesome printer, all for $140.

Erm, well; sorry to be the pauper here but i've been able to try a couple of
slide scanners and found them good but very slow. I really didnt want to
spend a fortune on a scanner and forever copying the slides/negs.

I bought an old Tokina Video Slide Copier for £8 off fleabay and it was one of
the best things i got. It screws onto the filter ring and its like shedding peas.

Push a slide into the end of it and click, its done, i did around a 100 in just
over an hour, try that with the average scanner. The quality is fine for what
i need... This was taken about 25 years ago on 400 film...

3984008288_b5bcc1f23b_o.jpg

I use a number of scanners, for 35mm film, a Polaroid SprintScan 4000, worth every bit of the $100 it cost me. Film grain becomes the limiting factor in scanning.

For larger negatives that are under 4x5, as well as 35mm slides, I use my Kodak SLR/n on a Beseler Dual Mode Slide Duplicator. Quick, easy post, as I have a few actions set up in Photoshop to handle neg/pos conversion and basic level issues. Great for prints up to around 10x15 or so.

For 4x5 and up, I use either a Umax Powerlook III or a Linotype Opal Ultra, depending on what the final resolution requirements are.

Software in all scanner cases in Vuesoft, though I have Silverfast and LinoColor for the Lino, the Vuescan software has a much more streamlined workflow.

An example of a 35mm negative, scanned at 4000 ppi, below:

1_6 by epatsellis, on Flickr

I'm using the Canon 8800f for MF and 35mm, and it works well for me - no complaints at all, actually. The Epson V700 (or the newer V750) looks like it'd be even better though, if you can afford it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back