Scanning negatives. Advice please.

PhotoGopher

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello. I need advice on buying a scanner that will be able to scan my 120 negatives. I'm sort of new to photography, and don't know all of the "ins and outs", but I learning. Most of the scanners that I've come across only mention being able to scan 35mm negatives. I don't know if these will be able to scan my 120 negs. Any help or advice will be much appreciated. Thanks. ;)

The Epson Perfection series (V600, V700, etc.) is pretty popular.

I have a V600. It can scan one strip of 3 frames at a time. The V700/750 can scan two strips of 3 frames at a time.

If they only mention 35mm, that's probably all they can do. Look at the film holders - if it can do 120, you should see a 120 film holder in the pictures of all the stuff they come with.

Thanks for the replies. The V600 looks like it should suit my needs just fine. AWESOME!

When using the epson flatbed scanners its important to find the "sweet spot" in carrier height, experiment with small adjustments until the film grain is crisp.

Thanks for the tip. I plan on getting one in a few weeks. I shot about a half dozen rolls through my Holgas, last summer. I have a kit with a bunch of colored filters, prisms, and a fish eye lens. I shot every where for a few weeks. The beach, a local cemetery, Central Park, and everywhere in between. B&W, color, E 6/X pro. A whole lot of off the cuff / experimental madness lol. Basically, my whole summer was documented with a toy camera. I'm dying to see how it all turns out.

What you want is NIKON 8000 even better 9000 scanner. You will be able to scan in to high end professional result.

What you want is NIKON 8000 even better 9000 scanner. You will be able to scan in to high end professional result.

Yeah, but they still go for about $4000.00 used for the Coolscan 9000 and $2000.00 for the 8000.
The Minolta Dimage Scan Multi Pro is about $3000.00

I've had some very nice results from my Epson 4870 (predessor to the V series) for scanning 120 negs and transparencies. I haven't printed anything large from the files - 8x10 mostly, but I'm happy with it for the investment I have made.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back