scanning negatives

den9

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
when i have my photos put onto a cd when i get them developed they are jpeg files, is it possible to have them in tiff or raw format?

would copying images onto the cd in jpeg format even make a difference in original quality?

This is stuff you should be asking whoever develops your film...

They may be able to give you TIFFs, but honestly - I'd be surprised if they do anything other than JPG.

Also, you could get your own scanner and save them as whatever you want.

I doubt saving the scans in RAW will give you the info like how a DSLR would. You are capturing an image from an non-digital medium, so what you see is what you get. A tiff may help in terms of the file compression, but I don't think RAW makes sense for this.

I think Molested is right, the scanner is taking a picture of a picture, its only gathering as much info as the film has already recorded, (depending on how good of a scanner) where as Raw format in a digital camera is the sensor actually gathering the light and information for the darkenss.

Some scanners can do what would be similar to an HDR or RAW...taking multiple scans of the same negative.

A place like Walmart is definitely not doing that. I don't think they even could do it if you asked them.

Some scanners can do what would be similar to an HDR or RAW...taking multiple scans of the same negative.

A place like Walmart is definitely not doing that. I don't think they even could do it if you asked them.

Really? Can you post a link or something so I can learn more about it?

SilverFast HDR :: LaserSoft Imaging
SilverFast Multi-Exposure :: LaserSoft Imaging

I'm sure there are other options too...

The SilverFast software makes "HDR"s that only (surprise) the SilverFast software can read.

A lot of scanners ship with SilverFast software. Mine came with the SE version, which can create the HDR files, but it can't read them. You need the SilverFast HDR to actually do anything with them.

Almost like comparing GIMP and Lightroom...sorta. They give you a free version that is pretty capable, but if you want to work with "RAW"s you have to pay...

According to their website, that's what shipped with your V700...
(Or at least, that scanner is compatible with their software...not sure if that means it's included with the scanner or not...)
SilverFast for Epson Perfection V700 Photo :: LaserSoft Imaging

The scanner is compatible with SilverFast and SilverFast, but it doesn't ship with either. It ships with SilverFast SE, which is a somewhat limited version of SilverFast. It also ships with EPSON's on EPSONscan, which is also rather good.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back