scanning

hovat

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
This may seem like a really dumb question and I am sorry if it is.

Okay so, recently I had senior pictures taken and I purchased a bunch of pictures. They gave me a book full of all the pictures they took and I have to choose which ones I want. I want to scan these photos though so that I have them on my computer. I don't plan on printing them at all, but I want to have them on my computer so I can use them in photoshop, and on myspace and other things like that.

My question is, would they be able to tell that I scanned these pictures out of the picture booklet, and if they could can they do anything about it? I know that the pictures they took were their work and that I shouldnt reproduce them and I don't plan to. I would just like to have a copy of them on my computer.

Scanning is still a form of reproduction and as such is a form of copyright violation.

I am not a portrait photographer, I am merely a low level copyright infringment investigater on the internet so I could be mistaken in this but, I would imagine if they are just to have on your computer there really is not much hassel that will be given, however if you start E-mailing them to friends and family then the photographer is likely going to have issues because that is what you are supposed to purchasse prints for.

That's kind of an interesting question actually. I guess if they gave you the photos to take home and look at to decide what to have "enlarged" then they don't mind. I guess they're selling the service of the one final print. But what the hey, just ask them. Everything feels better when it's on the up & up and out in the open.

It is illegal to scan them. It is illegal to post them in MySpace. It is illegal to alter them in Photoshop.

If you want low-res images, ask if the studio offers/sells them.

As for what they'll do about it... who knows. Every studio is different. They may let it slide. They may invoice you for the usage. They may simply decide to no longer do business with you.

My opinion, stop stealing stuff that's not yours. Pay for what you want.

It is illegal to scan them. It is illegal to post them in MySpace. It is illegal to alter them in Photoshop.

If you want low-res images, ask if the studio offers/sells them.

As for what they'll do about it... who knows. Every studio is different. They may let it slide. They may invoice you for the usage. They may simply decide to no longer do business with you.

My opinion, stop stealing stuff that's not yours. Pay for what you want.

I haven't stolen anything. I haven't even scanned a single image yet.

Thank you all for your replies, I appreciate it.

I haven't stolen anything. I haven't even scanned a single image yet.

Thank you all for your replies, I appreciate it.

It's the sales of these prints that feed their families, contrary to popular belief it is not easy to make sht loads of money selling photos and there is not a lot of money in this profession. This is made harder in this day and age where scanners are common household objects. Photographers are loosing thousands of dollars because people have the ability to replicate an image indefinately with out the knowledge that it is in fact illegal under copyright laws.

Copyright means the image is the property of it's creator and can not be duplicated with out expressed written consent. There is no loophole pertaining to non prophit use. That said, even if you are not selling or distributing copies, copying is still a copyright violation. Further more any replication of the imagery is taking food off the photographers table.

Most reactions

Back