Schmap New York Guide wants one of my photos from flickr.

Jaszek

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
michalphoto.tk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
they sent me this
Hi Jaszek PL,

I am writing to let you know that one of your photos has been short-listed for inclusion in the eighth edition of our Schmap New York Guide, to be published at the end of this month.

www.schmap.com/shortlist/p=30818227N02/c=SL20021941

Clicking this link will take you to a page where you can:
i) See which of your photos has been short-listed.
ii) Submit or withdraw your photo from our final selection phase.
iii) Learn how we credit photos in our Schmap Guides.
iv) Browse online or download the seventh edition of our Schmap New York Guide.

While we offer no payment for publication, many photographers are pleased to submit their photos, as Schmap Guides give their work recognition and wide exposure, and are free of charge to readers. Photos are published at a maximum width of 150 pixels, are clearly attributed, and link to high-resolution originals at Flickr.

Our submission deadline is Friday, September 18. If you happen to be reading this message after this date, please still click on the link above (our Schmap Guides are updated frequently - photos submitted after this deadline will be considered for later releases).

Best regards,

Emma Williams,
Managing Editor, Schmap Guides
www.schmap.me/emma.j.williams
Do you think its a good idea to give them my photo? I don't really mind, even if it's for free, maybe as long as I get a copy of the guide if they chose mine :greenpbl:

BTW this is the photo
3572140862_c8ab42552d.jpg

I had them ask for one of my images too. It's a decent deal, since the guide is free, you get credit, and the terms state quite clearly they can't make money off of the guide by selling it, so if they do then they can't use your image, or they have to pay you. They seem on the up-and-up. I just wish I could secure a darn property release so I could actually let them have the photo. BLARG!!! (Sadly, mine is of a very recognizable building.)

So do you think I should agree? Im reading through the Terms and ofcourse it was written by some lawyer and you dont understand half the words :p

I had them ask for one of my images too. It's a decent deal, since the guide is free, you get credit, and the terms state quite clearly they can't make money off of the guide by selling it, so if they do then they can't use your image, or they have to pay you. They seem on the up-and-up. I just wish I could secure a darn property release so I could actually let them have the photo. BLARG!!! (Sadly, mine is of a very recognizable building.)

That building is clearly visible while standing on public property. Do you still need a release? What's the logic there?

I guess i'll go for it. BTW I'll post the link to my website/blog since just putting my name will only give people my Facebook from a google search :p

That building is clearly visible while standing on public property. Do you still need a release? What's the logic there?

Yes. The problem is that the building is recognizable, not that it's visible from public property. Even though one can easily take a photo of it on private property, that doesn't mean that I own the rights to the likeness of their building. For that, I need a property release, and having all necessary releases like that in hand is one of the terms of the Schmap submission...dealy.

That's friggin wierd. I've never heard of Neko Case and it came up as the next song on youtube while listening to the Sadies about 30 seconds before I clicked the link.

That's friggin wierd. I've never heard of Neko Case and it came up as the next song on youtube while listening to the Sadies about 30 seconds before I clicked the link.
lol nice.

Yes. The problem is that the building is recognizable, not that it's visible from public property. Even though one can easily take a photo of it on private property, that doesn't mean that I own the rights to the likeness of their building. For that, I need a property release, and having all necessary releases like that in hand is one of the terms of the Schmap submission...dealy.

I would have never expected that. Damned shame in your case.

It's part the nasty and confusing web that is our law, and part that I'd rather be safe than have a lawsuit directed at me.

schmap uses 1 of my images for their New Orelans guide.. i actually totally forgot about it until I read this.. now I'm gonna go see if I can find it...

It's part the nasty and confusing web that is our law, and part that I'd rather be safe than have a lawsuit directed at me.

I see that you're in Canada. Are you confident that that is also the law in the states?

funny... friend of mine just got email from those guys yest for an animal shot from the bronx zoo as well

I see that you're in Canada. Are you confident that that is also the law in the states?

Quite confident. I've heard no end of the importance of getting property releases from American photographers, and there's a reason ASMP provides an example one. ;)

Most reactions

Back