Schnauzer Christmas & the Grands

CherylL

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The pups' formal photo. This year I bought an 8.2x8.2 microfiber backdrop and the wrinkles came out in the dryer low heat. I bought tension pulls for the sides so that helped. Added props on the side. Most I had on hand and a few I bought for the session.
I also bought 2 cheap light kit. The lights are not super bright, but enough for my hobby. Much easier than working with one speedlight. I think the pups prefer the lights over flash.
This was all set up in the basement for the pups and had to move everything to the garage for the grands' photos due to covid precautions. I took photos of the set and had a yardstick in the shots so I would remember where everything went.
For the grands I used a remote shutter release. I set my focus on a larger group instead of spot. Used the 85mm. I was 22 feet away and used a DOF calculator to set aperture.
The pups photo I used the 50mm.
Took the pups and the grands photos in November. I then sold my backdrop on a local photography page because I knew I wouldn't want to use the same thing next year.
I had the camera on a tripod to get a level and non distorted view of the backdrop. Next backdrop will not have horizontal or vertical print lines.

Merry Christmas from the pups
by Cheryl, on Flickr

This was the funniest one of their set. Prompt: who was naughty this year. The little one owned up!
112220_034SmallW.jpg

Excellent and uplifting images.

Love it!!!! That littlest looks like she is a real hoot! Look out boys when these three come of age, a triple threat!

The backdrop worked well in this application. Stacking your set with accessories really helps with adding depth to the scene. To often people buy the printed backgrounds, put a subject in front of it then wonder why the image looks flat. Verticle lines in a back ground are a PITA but you've pulled it off quite nicely.

Love these! I recently told my husband once I get the point where can hire someone to take over shooting, I'm moving on to dogs only [emoji23][emoji119][emoji190] yours are gorgeous!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Very nicely done, great shots!
Thanks!

Thanks! The pups bring me joy....oh yes and the grands too.

Love it!!!! That littlest looks like she is a real hoot! Look out boys when these three come of age, a triple threat!

The backdrop worked well in this application. Stacking your set with accessories really helps with adding depth to the scene. To often people buy the printed backgrounds, put a subject in front of it then wonder why the image looks flat. Verticle lines in a back ground are a PITA but you've pulled it off quite nicely.
Good thing I took test shots of the pups first. I realized I had to use a tripod to keep things square. The trees painted on the backdrop looked flat maybe due to the light. In post I burned them a bit to give contrast. Yes the lines were a bear!

Exactly how I'd put it.
Thanks!

Love these! I recently told my husband once I get the point where can hire someone to take over shooting, I'm moving on to dogs only [emoji23][emoji119][emoji190] yours are gorgeous!

Thanks! If I were younger I would go into pet photography. Although not all pets are trained to sit and stay. I have shot photos for friends' pups and I would spend about 30 minutes playing with them to get to know me and wear them out a bit.

These are great!

Thanks! If I were younger I would go into pet photography. Although not all pets are trained to sit and stay. I have shot photos for friends' pups and I would spend about 30 minutes playing with them to get to know me and wear them out a bit.

Oh yes I know all too well [emoji23] I actually used to groom and train dogs, for like 15 years! Nowadays I photograph dogs at our towns rescue group a few times a month... it's challenging because they are usually very fearful or with zero training/manners. I still love it though [emoji3059][emoji252]

Fantastic work, Cheryl! Great set, lighting, and of course subjects. :icon_thumleft:
Thanks Terri! I looked at a few Christmas photos of the pups 5 years ago compared to now. Reading and participating in this forum has helped me immensely.

These are great!
Thanks Winona!

Oh yes I know all too well [emoji23] I actually used to groom and train dogs, for like 15 years! Nowadays I photograph dogs at our towns rescue group a few times a month... it's challenging because they are usually very fearful or with zero training/manners. I still love it though [emoji3059][emoji252]

That would be a challenge. The pups are not in their natural environment and stressed.

For several years my Christmas card was always my mixed terrier pup (boston and schaunzer). I'd sit her on a table and put props out and she'd patiently do as I asked. She was my love for 12 years; I lost her to cancer in Oct. 2019. Love your pups!

For several years my Christmas card was always my mixed terrier pup (boston and schaunzer). I'd sit her on a table and put props out and she'd patiently do as I asked. She was my love for 12 years; I lost her to cancer in Oct. 2019. Love your pups!
Sorry for the loss of your sweet pup. My pups are usually on our Christmas card and some friends will include a message to the pups in their cards to us. My 3 are fairly patient with me.

They are all very patient with the photo taking!

I am sorry for your loss and kind of know how you may feel. We lost our "Bruno" the day after Easter this year. It really sucks when they head to rainbow bridge!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back