Schwetty and I went Insect Hunting

cgipson1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Schwetty and I have been discussing getting together to do some shooting. So Robin and I, and my girlfriend all went to the local Butterfly Pavillion... Here are some of mine, I don't know if he will post any here or not.

bf1-1.jpg

bf2-1.jpg

bf3.jpg

bf4.jpg

I really like number 2. Thanks for sharing.

These came out nice....I was in a butterfly pavillion in Costa Rica and it was really enjoyable.

I don't know something doesn't do it for me. I shot butterflies once this summer too and had the same feeling when I was done. It's so hard to catch a butterfly in a way you can truly tell what it looks like. With some insects I see more than my brain knows is there, for these shots and the ones I took I see less. Everything else is great but I just don't know how a butterfly could be captured and really do it for me.

I don't know something doesn't do it for me. I shot butterflies once this summer too and had the same feeling when I was done. It's so hard to catch a butterfly in a way you can truly tell what it looks like. With some insects I see more than my brain knows is there, for these shots and the ones I took I see less. Everything else is great but I just don't know how a butterfly could be captured and really do it for me.

These are nice, technically--good color, focus and composition--well, I'm not crazy about the background on #3, but otherwise nice. But I know what you mean about not "doing it for you." I've found, personally, that I prefer butterfly shots where their wings are at least partially open, so that you get that sense of symmetry that is part of what I expect when I see a butterfly. Butterflies with their wings folded look "flat" and uninteresting to me.

These are nice, technically--good color, focus and composition--well, I'm not crazy about the background on #3, but otherwise nice. But I know what you mean about not "doing it for you." I've found, personally, that I prefer butterfly shots where their wings are at least partially open, so that you get that sense of symmetry that is part of what I expect when I see a butterfly. Butterflies with their wings folded look "flat" and uninteresting to me.

I got a couple with wings open and still they didn't do much for me, because you're kind of shooting down at it. I would love to catch a butterfly flying at me head on shot with wings, but I just don't know how that would be possible.

Here are some more from different angles (trying to please the picky people! lol!) I find Butterflies a lot harder to shoot in flight, than Dragonflies... they move so erratically. I do intend to try to get some in flight... just didn't happen this time. I was using my macro lens.. and not my "in-flight" lens... maybe next time! :)

bf7.jpg

bf6-1.jpg

bf5-1.jpg

bf8-1.jpg

bf9-1.jpg

Yes, I like the second set MUCH better! Not that I *didn't* like the first set... ;)

That last one, though...that's a little TOO close. :lol:

I usually concentrate on the wings.. as I love the patterns and colors. The second set is more like butterfly portraiture.. love the eyes also. I like "close"! lol!! You probably wouldn't be a fan of my spider closeups.... :)

Second set, #3 is the way to go for posing. Except the foreground of the leaf is really grainy for some reason - did you boost sharpness to get the butterfly clearer?

Second set, #3 is the way to go for posing. Except the foreground of the leaf is really grainy for some reason - did you boost sharpness to get the butterfly clearer?

I did sharpen a touch.. and noticed on that shot, event the tiniest bit of sharpening seem to turn the leaf pores black. I did a very minimal sharpening to minimize the effect... but less than I normally do.

I will have to talk to my models the next time I am shooting butterflies! Make sure they know they should always give me 3/4 frontal shots.. lol! :)

Most reactions

Back