Science behind apature... explain.

Boomn4x4

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I understand what apature is... I understand what it can do to photographs... but I've been bouncing this back and forth in my head, and it just dosen't make sense. Can someone explain how it works.

A larger apature, smaller f value, lets in more light, softens background images... I get all of it except how it softens backgrounds. I would think that the more light that gets in, it would alow for more focus on backgrounds and would give you MORE depth of field, not less.

Why is this so?

My guess, and I'm sure I will be corrected, is that it has to do with the light coming through the smaller opening is more focused and is only coming from really a tiny angle. Whereas as the opening gets larger the light is able to come in from wider and less focused angles?

The answers you seek are only partially related to aperture.

The phenomena you seek to understand is Depth-Of-Field, which is not only effected by aperture but also by subject to lens distance, lens focal length, and subject to background distance:

Depth of field - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My guess, and I'm sure I will be corrected, is that it has to do with the light coming through the smaller opening is more focused and is only coming from really a tiny angle. Whereas as the opening gets larger the light is able to come in from wider and less focused angles?

After sifting through the conglomerate of infomation provided by KmH's wiki link, I'd say you are correct.

Thanks.

Buy this [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Exposure-Photographs-Digital-Updated/dp/0817463003"]book[/ame].
Read this site.
Part II.

Last edited:
aperture science, we do what we must because we can

You will be baked, and there will be cake.

Most reactions

Back