What's new

Science behind apature... explain.

Boomn4x4

TPF Noob!
Joined
Mar 15, 2010
Messages
766
Reaction score
4
Location
Ohio
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I understand what apature is... I understand what it can do to photographs... but I've been bouncing this back and forth in my head, and it just dosen't make sense. Can someone explain how it works.

A larger apature, smaller f value, lets in more light, softens background images... I get all of it except how it softens backgrounds. I would think that the more light that gets in, it would alow for more focus on backgrounds and would give you MORE depth of field, not less.

Why is this so?
 
My guess, and I'm sure I will be corrected, is that it has to do with the light coming through the smaller opening is more focused and is only coming from really a tiny angle. Whereas as the opening gets larger the light is able to come in from wider and less focused angles?
 
My guess, and I'm sure I will be corrected, is that it has to do with the light coming through the smaller opening is more focused and is only coming from really a tiny angle. Whereas as the opening gets larger the light is able to come in from wider and less focused angles?

After sifting through the conglomerate of infomation provided by KmH's wiki link, I'd say you are correct.

Thanks.
 
Buy this [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Exposure-Photographs-Digital-Updated/dp/0817463003"]book[/ame].
Read this site.
Part II.
 
Last edited:
aperture science, we do what we must because we can
 
You will be baked, and there will be cake.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom