Scots Pines on a frosty day

very nice image but i don't like the black frame around it
(i hate frames with a passion)

Beautiful! But I too have a nitpik. I find it very difficult to enjoy a photo I have to scroll through. Is there a way on TPF to down size a photo for viewing?

Thanks to all for the comments. :)

very nice image but i don't like the black frame around it
(i hate frames with a passion)

I find your passion a little odd. ;) You define the border of every image you make, a rectangular frame where your image ends and the rest of the world begins, be proud of it. This frame needs to be clear as it is incredibly important. The centre of your image, and with it the balance, is entirely a function of the frame, the centre being mid point between the edges. So much is defined by the frame and your image depends on how well the viewer can define the edge, the corners, and therefore the composition and balance that you create. The image above (and below on a smaller scale :)) is light grey and muted colour, especially around the edges. TPF's background colour is light grey. I keep my borders thin and neutral and they are essential for defining the borders of the image rather than trusting the web page designer has not chosen a similar colour to the image for his background. ;)

Beautiful! But I too have a nitpik. I find it very difficult to enjoy a photo I have to scroll through. Is there a way on TPF to down size a photo for viewing?

My browser resizes the images automatically unless you full-screen it, then it seems to show the images fit to screen by width rather than height. Smaller version below for your viewing pleasure. ;) I kept it larger because you loose so much of the finer definition when you resize smaller, I prefer the slightly softer 'fit to screen' resize of the browser.

Last edited:
Very nice. It has a primitive feel to it for me. Webster's definition as a noun...
a pre-Renaissance painter.

a modern painter who imitates the pre-Renaissance style.

an artist employing a simple, naive style that deliberately rejects subtlety or conventional techniques.

a painting by a primitive artist, or an object in a primitive style.
a pre-Renaissance painter.

a modern painter who imitates the pre-Renaissance style.

an artist employing a simple, naive style that deliberately rejects subtlety or conventional techniques.

a painting by a primitive artist, or an object in a primitive style.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Very nice and I actually like the frame border.

Very nice - magnificent tree and I like the frame as well. My only "nit" is the tree sticking into the image from the right, just below the centre. I would have cloned it out as I find it distracting, but then, that is only me.

WesternGuy

Very nice shot. Beautiful colors and keep the border

Thanks for the comments. It was a cold grey day lit by a low sun through thin cloud, a strange but quite subtle light. :)

My only "nit" is the tree sticking into the image from the right, just below the centre. I would have cloned it out as I find it distracting, but then, that is only me.

It's not perfect just natural. ;) I would find it hard to clone out the tree over such a large area without leaving a tell-tale change in texture.

Thanks for the comments. It was a cold grey day lit by a low sun through thin cloud, a strange but quite subtle light. :)

My only "nit" is the tree sticking into the image from the right, just below the centre. I would have cloned it out as I find it distracting, but then, that is only me.

It's not perfect just natural. ;) I would find it hard to clone out the tree over such a large area without leaving a tell-tale change in texture.
No problem, although "Content Aware Fill" would be something I would try. My only other thing to try would be shooting from a different angle - probably not possible now unless you can return, but just another thought. For example, what would happen if you moved to the right, assuming you could :biggrin-93:, to try and eliminate the "tree".

WesternGuy

No problem, although "Content Aware Fill" would be something I would try. My only other thing to try would be shooting from a different angle - probably not possible now unless you can return, but just another thought. For example, what would happen if you moved to the right, assuming you could :biggrin-93:, to try and eliminate the "tree".

WesternGuy

It's not that easy. Moving to the right would mean turning more into the light and therefore shooting more into the shadow. This would not only change the proportion of the lighter parts of the tree to shadow values, but it would also change the beautiful values in the sky, change the shape of the trees and would mean the background was more lined up with a featureless lump rather than looking down the valley. The line of trees would be lost behind the trunks for instance. But most important is the angle of light and how this changes with just a 10-15 degree shift on camera orientation. I did move around before I set up the camera. I don't mind the other trees, they echo the shape of the main ones. And it's two fields to the left of the back door.

I like the border. I enjoyed the many small compositional choices...the trees in the distance and where there were allowed to peek through, the small scrubby tree lower right allowed to cut in to the frame, the height of the main trees within the defined, black-bordered frame, the small hillock on the left, the trees in the distance peeking over said hillock...the whole nine yards, everything nailed down tight! Sweet composition. I enjoyed the big image, the small size-reduced one less-so. I bet this shot is hell on wheels when viewed on a TALL display, like one of the new high-rez phones, or a tablet with the image allowed to rotate to vertical.

Most reactions

Back