Scott peterson verdict!!!!

Shutterbug said:
Exactly! You ASSUMED, maybe because it fits your point of view?
No, maybe because it's a fact that EVERY. SINGLE. PERSON. Who has ever been asked about the case has commented on THAT FACT, as well as the DISMISSED JUROR telling people that was the case. Sometimes you're allowed to assume when something is common sense.

That still doesn't make it a fact, it's still just your assumption so you shouldn't state it as a fact.

I have thought about it and with an open mind, looks like a motive to me.
Wow, I didn't know every person who has feelings for another person is a murderer... Damn, I better report my dad right now!!!

Your original statement was that he might just show his feelings different to other people so this attempt to change the argument coupled with high school sarcasm fails.

You obviously know nothing about fishing boats, from personal experience I feel it was quite possible and the boat length has little to do with stability, it's mainly the hull shape.
One other point, do you really think that Garegos would not have been allowed to enter evidence on the boat stability? The truth of the matter is that the defense did not conduct a stability test or if they did they kept it quiet...

...Working up a good conspiracy theory are we?

Heh.

Sources close to the case told CNN the boat is the same one used by the defense in a videotaped demonstration that the defense claims proves the boat would have capsized if a body were dumped overboard, as prosecutors contend happened. The judge denied the defense request to have the video shown in the trial.

SOURCE: http://www.cnn.com/2004/LAW/11/10/peterson.trial/

Now, unless the defense was purposly trying to screw Scott over, I would see no reason why they would try and introduce a tape supposedly proving a very big point of the case and have it be false.

An obviously rigged test from the defense? It's not surprising the judge excluded it. A real test could not have been excluded.

Also, I've seen the boat used in the so called "Test". (Having taken the train to Modesto from Martinez to pick up a car in Merced) It's roughly 14 to 14 and a half feet long, and MAYBE 5 to 6 feet wide. It has a very shallow body, and according to the water lines on the side of the boat, it sits pretty deep into the water for it's size. You could probably flip it over with your foot.

Have you ever been in a small fishing boat? So imagine you catch a fairly large fish and you and your buddy immediately go to the same side of the boat, lean over and haul the fish in, if those boats are as unstable as you imply there'd be an awful lot of drownings (which would certainly please the trial lawyers!).

Please stop implying that I'm not thinking for myself.
Why? You aren't. You're just demonizing him like the rest of America.

And you're not desperately trying to defend him based on wishful thinking?

So where did you obtain your superior information?
Local Newspapers, CNN, Time Magazine, Court TV, and Logs of the Investigation.

Same as the rest of us huh?

[/quote]

I'm not going to argue with you for a single reason:

An obviously rigged test from the defense?

Just shows how ignorant and stubborn you really are. You refuse to admit that there is some uncertainty to the case at all, which is just stupid. You're just as biased as the Judge that threw out all the defensive evidence - Forgive me for thinking that we should prove something BEYOND ALL SHADOWS OF DOUBT through a FAIR medium before we take a mans freedom, and maybe life away.

treehuggerhikerboy wrote:
mygrain wrote:
Yeah he got 1st degree on the wife and second degree on the baby...how did he intentionally axe his wife and not the baby? enquiring minds want to know.

that's a good question...maybe it's very difficult to get 1st degree when killing an unborn child (carefully side-stepping the abortion issue).

Yes it’s a bit odd. Could be the jury’s decision to go with the lesser charge.

Did the prosecution file first-degree charges in both cases or just on Lacy's?

I have a personal idea on this. The way I udnerstand 2nd degree is that it is not pre-meditated. I think it would be incredibly hard to prove beyond any reasonable doubt, that he actually thought and intended to kill the unborn son also (assuming that it was proven beyond reasonable doubt that he did for his wife).

Shutterbug said:
I'm not going to argue with you for a single reason:

An obviously rigged test from the defense?

Just shows how ignorant and stubborn you really are. You refuse to admit that there is some uncertainty to the case at all, which is just stupid. You're just as biased as the Judge that threw out all the defensive evidence -

Not at all like you huh? So far I haven't called you stupid but I confess the thought had occurred to me.

Forgive me for thinking that we should prove something BEYOND ALL SHADOWS OF DOUBT through a FAIR medium before we take a mans freedom, and maybe life away.

The actual legal term is "Beyond a REASONABLE doubt" and not your substitution of "beyond all shadows of doubt".
I see that you're still trying to make reality fit your opinions.

Well it's official now
this_topic_sucks.gif

Listen JR, there is a reason we don't let you vote for another two years and you are displaying that wonderfully right now. Your political science and American history teachers must be very proud. Besides that you were the one professing to have an open mind here. Yet when others bring your "facts" into question with good solid arguments you simply call them stupid and twist the words to fit your scenario?

You are getting a little too bent out of shape on this one I think. And just for the record I have had no problem in the past throwinf a cooler full of beer and ice (weighs about 120-150 :wink: ) from a canoe into a rafting river. I have never tipped over, you could most certainly attain throwing a body overboard a much sturdier fishing boat.

Yet when others bring your "facts" into question with good solid arguments you simply call them stupid and twist the words to fit your scenario?

FACT:"The boat would capsize, and they have a tape that could prove it"
RESPONSE:"Rigged."

HMMMMMMMM. Wonderful counter argument. He must have been on the debate team in High School.

I have never tipped over, you could most certainly attain throwing a body overboard a much sturdier fishing boat.

Good for you. Means nothing. Her body would have weighed much more than 120lbs, given she was A) Pregnant, and B) (According to your precious prosecutor) weighed down with concrete. Also, in a canoe, the sides are curved more upward than the boat in question, so it can lean even more over before it takes on water from the side, capsizing it. I was in the Boy Scouts, I know this.

Also, if you really had knowledge of boats and such, you'd realize that the one thing that provides a lot of stability on a boat - A keel, wasn't that big on Petersons boat, which was almost flat bottom, something much more prominant on a canoe.

Oh yeah - Don't f**king call me Junior.

HOLY MOLY!! Who would've thought that this would get this deep? Can we all get into our neutral corners and get along? :lol:

Apparently everyone here has their own opinions about the case and that's good. It's also great to express how we all feel but we need to steer clear of the personal attacks. Long story short, let's keep it clean, please.

I agree Aubs :sillysmi:

Its good to feel passionately about something....
Yet , at the same time try to keep a respect for the fact that there are people that will have a differing opinion to yours and dont immediantly get on the defensive and personally attack ppl.

Shutterbug , ppl have offered up what they think .... it doesnt necessarily mean that they are brainwashed by the 6 o 'clock news....
This is their own opinion , same as your opinion is one that you feel is your own.
No less and no more valid.

Theres just some things that we will never know the truth of..... and thats that. Its sucky but thats life mate.
Injustice happens every single day in this world.... to untold numbers of people. No one gets passionate about them though ... they live and die , nameless to the general public.

The need to undermine the validity of others viewpoint by implying the instantaneous " thats stupid " or " you have a sheep mentality " solves nada...

I'm with Lumi on this. Understanding other people's point of view is not always easy - but it's the corner stone to peace.

(It was a damn interesting case tho. Made me quite sick in the guts.)

interesting points brought up by all. however, i think the only way to get a true and accurate opinion of the proceedings is to be in the courtroom.

i agree there are a lot of injustices in the world, but i also think that some people fight passionately against them.

and yes, understanding other points of view definitely helps in the peace process, but sometimes even that is not enough (israel/palenstine). have you ever seen the documentary "Promises"? it's utterly amazing...i highly recommend it to everyone...and i think every high schooler or equivalent in the world should see it.

now....this all leads back to one question.....

is there a god? :wink:

peace
dave

no one answer that last question.... :wink: :shock:

your friendly moderating staff

AAAHHHHH MAN!!! The arguement was just about to get bloody too...:mygrain tosses his popcorn and beer down: Yer right MD....the "is there a god?" is perfect for another thread...hhhmmmmmmmm :scratch: :D

mygrain said:
AAAHHHHH MAN!!! The arguement was just about to get bloody too...:mygrain tosses his popcorn and beer down: Yer right MD....the "is there a god?" is perfect for another thread...hhhmmmmmmmm :scratch: :D

thats a negative my man... :p

MDowdey said:
mygrain said:

thats a negative my man... :p

I think if ya did that, Mygrain, MD's hand might accidentally slip and hit that 'ban' button! :) ....or worse? ;)

Most reactions

Back