Scottish autumn colour

puzzle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Native European trees don't have the same pigments as the North American varieties, so there are no flaming reds - unless some have been planted in landscaped parks and gardens.

Still, on a brightish day the orangy-browns can still have an amazing light to them.

Here are a few that I have taken over the past few weeks around the village where I live. I have not done a very good job on the more recent ones, taken with my new D50 - the light was just too low and I couldn't get a fast enough shutter speed so they are a little soft. I would really appreciate your comments though :blushing:.

Little digicam:
14-10-05-011-kingswellswoods2.jpg

14-10-05-023-kingswellswoods1.jpg

#3 - there were better spots than this to get this shot, but I was in mortal fear of getting knocked down, I didn't want to go too far from my car, and this was the only spot near a ditch big enough to stop in :confused: :lol::
14-10-05-033-countesswells2.jpg

D50:
#4 - if you look closely there are 2 crows in this shot :greenpbl:
22-10-05-064-trees2.jpg

22-10-05-076-trees2.jpg

22-10-05-114-leaves2.jpg

#7 - this is embarrassingly shaky :blushing: but I really liked the leaves on the path as well as on the trees.
22-10-05-121-trees2.jpg

The sun came out again yesterday, after a few dull and rainy weeks, but most of the leaves are gone now so I won't be able to get these chances again until next year.

Many thanks for looking :D.

Very nice series.
I don't mind the softness in the last. I understand why you liked this little scene.
My favourite - I think - is the second with the vanishing point that you managed to capture in that one and the play of light and shadow through the trees.

I understand so well what you mean about the better spots along the road, I know so many that look perfect from outside the car, yet there is no chance at all for a long long while to stop and park, or you would have to walk back alongside a busy country road with your life in permanent danger...

I really like the dof in the last but one photo, but for the stem right behind the leaves in focus.

And I have spotted the two crows :D.

Thanks LaFoto - it's raining hard again today so I think these were the last autumn photos I'll get. I'll have to start planning for the snow shots now...:D

This indeed is a great series. My personal fav is the pic with the crows (because of the crows, obviously :) ) I love the different colors in that central spot of trees and bushes.

I really like the last one, looks like something I would have shot. The color of leaves on the ground is really nice and makes the scene

Really nice series. My fave is the last shot. Well done.

Yep the last one does it for me too. Perhaps you could crop the top to eliminate the blown area and minimise the effect of movement. Good Series.....

deveel said:
My personal fav is the pic with the crows (because of the crows, obviously :) ) I love the different colors in that central spot of trees and bushes.

Didn't know the crows were there at the time - lucky bonus! I was wondering when I got the picture, if whoever planted this little patch of shrubs/trees had planned it specifically for this time of year - a bit of yellow here by the blue conifer, then some orange over here and a spash of red to finish....

Probably not :D

Thanks deveel, Wally, Chiller and Davey for the comments - I've tried another crop with the last one which takes off the bottom up to the leaves on the ground and brings down the top to make it quite square. It does work, in an entirely different way - you don't get the same sense of path leading in, but the colour is accentuated.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back