Tight Knot

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.lensphotoworld.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,

I'm not sure if this is the place I should be posting this, and if not, please move it to the appropriate spot.

I have been asked to make a screensaver and/or desktop background slideshow with about 12 of my images for a company (they want to use it as a promotional item. I make some money and get recognition, I can't ask for more. Except more money maybe :D), and have no idea which program to use to make a downloadable screensaver and/or desktop background slideshow.

I am looking for advice from anyone that has successfully done this in the past.
Unfortunately, there is a small matter of there being a bit of a time constraint, so any quick, to-the-point answers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much

I did not know you needed a special software. I just put the photos in a folder and select the folder for the screen saver. What is it you need the software to do?

The only thing i could see having to do would be have multiple sets of images with different screen resolutions to fit different peoples needs.

I dident know you needed a special software. I just put the photos in a folder and select the folder for the screen saver. What is it you need the software to do?

Hi Shane,

Thanks for the answer.
What I'm looking for is a program with an executable file that will allow this to be installed on anyones' computer once downloaded, and would automatically run as either a screensaver or a desktop background.
I guess something like a powerpoint presentation.
The goal being that people won't be able to just copy the images for their own use too easily (and yes, I know there are always ways around that, but why not make it a little more difficult for most people to steal the images)

Downloading the trial software now, I'll report back on how well it works. If I like it, it's worth the money to download the paid version.

Hope it works for you.

[What I'm looking for is a program with an executable file that will allow this to be installed on anyones' computer once downloaded, and would automatically run as either a screensaver or a desktop background.

I hope that you understand that you cannot make one thing that will install on everyone's computer. You going to need to make windows and mac versions and possibly even version for older versions of both windows and mac.

That second link that was posted does not support making them for mac so I would not consider it. The first link does but it does not specify that it will work with the current windows or Mac OS.

Honestly NOBODY buys screen savers these days so I doubt you would make enough money selling them to even cover the cost of buying a program to create them. (Especially if your screen saver only has 12 images like you say)

If someone want to pay you to use them for promotional stuff fine but I would just tell them to have the computer run the screensaver from a folder of images.

[What I'm looking for is a program with an executable file that will allow this to be installed on anyones' computer once downloaded, and would automatically run as either a screensaver or a desktop background.

I hope that you understand that you cannot make one thing that will install on everyone's computer. You going to need to make windows and mac versions and possibly even version for older versions of both windows and mac.

That second link that was posted does not support making them for mac so I would not consider it. The first link does but it does not specify that it will work with the current windows or Mac OS.

Honestly NOBODY buys screen savers these days so I doubt you would make enough money selling them to even cover the cost of buying a program to create them. (Especially if your screen saver only has 12 images like you say)

If someone want to pay you to use them for promotional stuff fine but I would just tell them to have the computer run the screensaver from a folder of images.

Hi Light Guru,

Thanks for the info.

It never even occurred to me that there would be a difference for Mac and Windows based programs. Just goes to show how little knowledge I have in these areas.
And come to think of it, you're correct. I haven't seen any screensavers for sale for quite some time.

But in this case, the company that is asking me to do the screensavers wants to start with those, and then branch out to calendars, T-Shirts etc. to a specific target audience.
They will all be photographs of the Holy Land, and they have a target market that they already aim for, and seem to have success in their other endeavors.
Worst case, it doesn't work for me, best case I get paid and get my name out.
The 12 images, are just a starter (I think they were thinking of 12 so they could then move them directly over to calendars), we will be doing far more as time goes on.

Most reactions

Back