Sd cards or backup drive?

zamanakhan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
What would u rather have just more sd cards or a portable drive that you can export all of your pictures to than delete them off of card and reuse the cards? The price of sd cards have come down to a point where if I were to buy San disk or Lear sd cards equaling 320 gig I would spend about $400 a smaller portable drive where I can export all my pics then delete them would cost the same.I don't really back up until I get home but even then my d7000 can write to 2 cards and I can still backup if I wanted to either way. Which way do u go? I am planning to do a one month travel adventure at the end of this summer ( if I get into medschool) and I want to bring along my camera and no laptop. Trying to plan what kind of storage I would need.

when travelling I always use just cards (CF though). An external drive is bulky and also has a certain chance of failure. if the drive fails totally, all your images are gone. If one out of 10 cards fails, one tenth of your images is gone. Now make a choice! ;)

I usually travel with my laptop, so not quite as relevant... but, I dump the images to the laptop hard drive, and then put another copy of them on an external drive, so I can reuse the cards. SDs and hard drives both have a chance of failure, so whatever you do just make sure you've always got 2 copies of everything. Since the D7000 will write backups for you, and you don't want a laptop, I'd probably pick up a handful of SD cards wherever the price break is. (the 16gb ones were cheapest per gb last I looked, but that stuff changes often) If you're going to use a hard drive, you'll need two of them and some way to get the images on to them, so the cards do seem easier.

I travel with a plethora of cards, a laptop and an external drive.

i am not taking the laptop with me, i am tkaing an ipad but 32g is not enough plus i filled it with shows for flight. I am taking 2x16gb's 4x8gbs and i think 2x2gbs and a 4gb card. Hoping it will be enough, if not i can always buy some more sd cards in europe.

Side note, i think i packed too bulky.

What would u rather have just more sd cards or a portable drive that you can export all of your pictures to than delete them off of card and reuse the cards? The price of sd cards have come down to a point where if I were to buy San disk or Lear sd cards equaling 320 gig I would spend about $400 a smaller portable drive where I can export all my pics then delete them would cost the same.I don't really back up until I get home but even then my d7000 can write to 2 cards and I can still backup if I wanted to either way. Which way do u go? I am planning to do a one month travel adventure at the end of this summer ( if I get into medschool) and I want to bring along my camera and no laptop. Trying to plan what kind of storage I would need.

I found this on Amazon and it works pretty well. Very compact. Amazon.com: Digital Foci Photo Safe II 320 GB Digital Picture Storage (PST-251): Electronics

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
If I could, I would do both and not delete images off either.

SD cards are so cheap that its not even worth deleting the pictures you wanna keep on it. I would also make both online and local hard drive backups as well. If your house burns down or you get robbed, you will still have online backups

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back