Seagull - Cormorant - Osprey

DarkShadow

Birdographer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Last edited:
Maybe a little bit overboard with the noise reduction on the Cormorant and Osprey? Large areas of feathers that should be showing detail are blocked up from the noise reduction it appears.

I see the lose of detail but these are cropped heavy from very far distant shots from 12 megapixels and noise reduction was off. Basically I pulled something out of nothing. I really dont see harsh light though these are taken within a hour after sunrise around between 630 and 700 am.The date and time is off in camera and I really don't bother to keep fixing that. As always thanks for the comments.

Last edited:
Nice shots but agree with the harsh light and a wee bit of over-sharpening as well.

I see the lose of detail but these are cropped heavy from very far distant shots from 12 megapixels and noise reduction was off. Basically I pulled something out of nothing. I really dont see harsh light though these are taken within a hour after sunrise around between 630 and 700 am.The date and time is off in camera and I really don't bother to keep fixing that. As always thanks for the comments.

That's very interesting. Looking at these, I would have put my money on mid-day sun for sure. Nevertheless, again, nice shots.

The cropping is probably what caused it. The way the feathers are smoothed out in places looks just like what noise reduction software does to detail.

Hey scott do these look harsh to you.I have my macbook pro screen brightness all the way and they look fine with light.Maybe I am not seeing it.

Hey scott do these look harsh to you.I have my macbook pro screen brightness all the way and they look fine with light.Maybe I am not seeing it.

Somewhat, yeah. Take the seagull for example. Right along the leading edge of his wing, right where it goes into his body (the wing "Root") is a band of blown highlights. The top of his back is very dark, not completely black but very dark. In addition there is a halo around the bottom of his beak.

The last Osprey has a section of very bright highlights in its left "Wing Pit" (same location as an arm pit) but his eye is virtually invisible.

Overall quite high contrast which is what caused the harsh light comments I think.

Ok I see it now.Thanks

Most reactions

Back