Seamless white vs white muslin

Destin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Alright guys I'm about to buy a white backdrop.

You call it... a roll of seamless white paper, or a white muslin backdrop. Why?

I'll give you a third option. It really depends on your budget and intended purpose.

Lastolite 6X7' Collapsible Background - Black/White LL LB6701

I spoke with my local camera shop yesterday and they can get me the Lastolite colors that I want at near B&H or Adorama's prices. Mind you, Westcott & Savage have similar products, probably others too, but having a few Lastolite products already, I am confident in their build quality.

Of course, there is a fourth option........

Lastolite HiLite Illuminated White Background LL LB8867 B&H

Paper. Why? The wrinkles are a huge PITA. Huge.

I'll give you a third option. It really depends on your budget and intended purpose.

Lastolite 6X7' Collapsible Background - Black/White LL LB6701

I spoke with my local camera shop yesterday and they can get me the Lastolite colors that I want at near B&H or Adorama's prices. Mind you, Westcott & Savage have similar products, probably others too, but having a few Lastolite products already, I am confident in their build quality.

Of course, there is a fourth option........

lol, those are both beyond my budget. thanks anyway though.

Paper. Why? The wrinkles are a huge PITA. Huge.

I can see that on a darker color. But are they even noticeable on a white backdrop once you overexpose it 1-2 stops to make it pure white?

I've seen artifacts just from bends in the paper.

Muslin is a lot easier to store than rolls of seamless paper.

Seamless paper is more reflective than muslin.

Good muslin backgrounds are not inexpensive.

Muslin is a lot easier to store than rolls of seamless paper.

Seamless paper is more reflective than muslin.

Good muslin backgrounds are not inexpensive.

I can get a white muslin backdrop for $50-70ish (10x12)

And I see myself going through paper very quickly. I think I'm gonna have to go with muslin on this one.

What about white vinyl? Again, it all depends on what you are looking to do? Paper and muslin both have their advantages and disadvantages.

What about white vinyl? Again, it all depends on what you are looking to do? Paper and muslin both have their advantages and disadvantages.

I just want a white backdrop for portraits. Gonna light it with 2 flashes, to overexpose it 1-2 stops and get it pure white.

wouldn't vinyl be reflective?

Gray seamless would be a good choice if you have two flashes to light it and turn it white, and a second flash for main light. Seamless paper is typically nine feet wide, so it is MUCH larger than the 6x7 foot sized backgrounds.

If you want people shown full-length and want a white-white background, white seamless paper is the way to go. Paper doesn't wrinkle that badly with proper handling.

I use paper. PAAAAPER

It order to get fabric (muslin etc.) to look perfect, it all has to be that 2 stops brighter...but any wrinkle will be brighter on the side that is closer to the light (darker on the back side). You can (pretty much have to) use a couple lights when your backdrop isn't smooth, but even then, it's not always easy to get a full wash of evenly lit background.

Paper off the roll is nice a smooth, so nice to work with. It's just a PITA to deal with a 9'+ roll unless you are always in your studio and have a roll rack etc.

I don't often use paper, but I have something that is sort of in-between paper and fabric...vinyl. I keep it rolled, so it's mostly smooth, but I have had to fold it up for transport and once it got wrinkled, it was never as smooth as it was when new.
Yes, Vinyl (and other types synthetic fabrics) can have a bit too much direct reflection properties. That's why I used low reflectance vinyl...the stuff they used to make signs & banners.

Most reactions

Back