Search and Rescue dog

He is all business, isn't he? Very nice subject, and sharp as a tack! My only nitpick is the pinkish tinge in the background snow, though that could certainly be from the sun angle - I'm used to blue tones with snow and shadow.

Still a nice job! :)

Pretty well executed I think. I hear what terri was saying about the color tinge in the background snow, but to me it looks more like golden, afternoon sunlight is on the top of the frame, and the shadow of the dog on the right looks that ever-so-slight blue of a large expanse of open shade. I see this as a sort of "nature's split-toning". I can see a slight shadow on the dog's back; I might be tempted to process this so it looks a bit more "shadowy", to further emphasize the time of day, and make the light snow and the snow with the shadow each look slightly more-exaggerated. I think the shadows might be a bit too light, a bit too open to really make this "Pop!" as much as it could. Snow provides sooooo much natural fill, that to me, I think the shadows are just a wee bit too open. Of course, this is just my thinking out loud; I'm seeing a nice rendering of the dog and the scene; my suggestions might turn this into more of a study on the light, or the time of day, and that might not be your intent.

Oh what the heck...I pulled it into LR...I can now see the "pink" hue that terri mentioned more clearly!

I messed around with it, trying to make the "light" be more of a factor. Not sure if it's better or just different... $_MG_3594-TPF rework.jpg

Last edited:
Wow - I think this edit has done the shot a world of good. The blues are better expressed and the snow seems more natural. The pinkish hue is way downplayed. All that, and the subject still looks rich.

Snow and shadow are toughies, no question. Various shades of blue. :) Nice job with the edit, Derrel! I hope the OP likes it.

Nice looking search partner. Reminds me of "Thunder", one of the dogs who went with us to Oklahoma and who's offspring still carry on the tradition of being search dogs.

I'm thinking I would like to see a bit more of a shot from the front giving a stronger look to the canine. It would emphasize the face more and a position of power.

Most reactions

Back