Second Crack at Live Music Photography!

thrasher

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
hey!

I'm extremely new to photography, like REALLY new. I'm trying my best to improve, so any criticism(s) and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

This is the second concert I've shot with my new T3i, first time was a disaster. Complete, and utter DISASTER.

This one, not so much ... at least I think so. You may not! :p. Anywhooo, I put them on Facebook, because there's too many to upload here.

So click this link and (hopefully) enjoy!

InAeona 10/10 - Hamilton, ON - Doors Pub | Facebook

Thanks!

-Paul

I'm going to be honest and say right off the bat that I don't think these are particularly good. Perhaps for working with that light you may have had, but even some on-camera flash would have been an improvement over none at all. Composition is lacking, with crowded frames and most of the photos are near identical, just showing the same thing over and over.

If you want my opinion, get yourself a cheap flash, maybe even an umbrella/mini softbox, and give it another go at a place that will let you use them. Get out of the habit of just snapping photos left and right, anyone with a cell-phone can do that. Make a purposed thought as to how you want your shot to come out, and apply your skills to make it happen. Especially since you seem to have experience in this genre of music, I'd expect you better equipped than most (mentally) to understand what about it to capture in a photo.

Also, just an FYI, never expect people here to look at links. Follow in the forums instructions on how to post images using the BB code, or you will never get any CC. Limit your requests to 2 or 3 images at most​.

I'm going to be honest and say right off the bat that I don't think these are particularly good. Perhaps for working with that light you may have had, but even some on-camera flash would have been an improvement over none at all. Composition is lacking, with crowded frames and most of the photos are near identical, just showing the same thing over and over.

If you want my opinion, get yourself a cheap flash, maybe even an umbrella/mini softbox, and give it another go at a place that will let you use them. Get out of the habit of just snapping photos left and right, anyone with a cell-phone can do that. Make a purposed thought as to how you want your shot to come out, and apply your skills to make it happen. Especially since you seem to have experience in this genre of music, I'd expect you better equipped than most (mentally) to understand what about it to capture in a photo.

Also, just an FYI, never expect people here to look at links. Follow in the forums instructions on how to post images using the BB code, or you will never get any CC. Limit your requests to 2 or 3 images at most​.

Cheers for the criticism, much appreciated!

One thing I am curious about, what do you mean they are near identical? I'm just curious.

As far as cluttering, what do you mean? I've heard others say that about my photos, and no one gives me a clear answer. So could you shed some light on that?

Also, yea I agree the framing needs to be better, but it was tough because the light came in flashes, so i had to act quick. Luckily there weren't a lot of people at the show, so it was ok for me to move around. I took around 300 pictures, 150 were weeded out on the way home, and those were the best of the litter of the remaining.

On a side note, I'm glad you didn't say they were horrible, I guess I'm improving! Baby steps I say!

Most reactions

Back