Second guessing my Nikon DSLR purchase

LaLO929

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I thought I had made up my mind and I was going to purchase a Nikon D80 however I keep second guessing myself. I know I want Nikon but...

Would it be better for me in the long run to get a Nikon D80 with 18-135mm f/3.5 - f/5.6 DX Zoom-Nikkor lens OR get a D60 with a better lens? Even a D40?

Just a note: This will be my first DSLR. I'd like a prosumer camera and I am willing to spend about $800 for the camera and lens.

If you think going the 'better lens' route with a D60 or D40...what lens do you recommend and why?

Thank you!

The D80 has been essentially replaced by the D90... unless you're really wedded to the D80, I'd recommend at least going that way.

Best advice I can give: buy lenses, not bodies. But the 18-55mm VR that comes with the D40 nowadays is awesome: great quality, light, and tiny. If you're looking for something more expensive, the 18-200mm VR is also awesome, with a longer range.

As far as bodies: The D90 is amazing, and the D40 is pretty awesome too (but apparently, it's about to be replaced). The D60's only real additional feature over the D40 (besides megapixels... meh) is ADR, which the D90 has as well as much more.

Summary: Get a better lens and go with a D40 or its replacement, unless you have a specific reason for wanting a D80 or D90. Megapixels don't matter (you can make a great 16x20 print with 6 MP... so who cares beyond that?).

Depending on your price, the D80 is a better option IMO because of the lens choices availaible for the D40-D60. Yes, you can still use other lenses with those bodies, but with limitations (metering, AF). And yes, the technology is newer with the D60, but I still think the D80 is a better camera.

The 18-135mm lens may be a not-so-good choice though. I'm not saying it's bad, but I know someone with it and they despise it. I got the 18-55mm & 55-200mm VR and was quite happy with that choice........... until later, when I spent good money for good glass. But for an overall focal length, the 18-135mm covers a decent range. Just make sure you have plenty of light available.

Ummmm, folks, the OP only mentioned the D40, D60 & D80. Why do you want to confuse the issue? There's no reason to think the OP hasn't done their research.

Ummmm, folks, the OP only mentioned the D40, D60 & D80. Why do you want to confuse the issue? There's no reason to think the OP hasn't done their research.

Because the D40 is about to be replaced. The OP may be a smart buyer looking for a good deal on a discontinued model, or the OP may not have seen that it's been discontinued. This is similar for the D80. It's good to at least know these options -- and they are extremely easy mistakes to make, since we don't know the full story on the D40 yet.

I would go with a D70S and better glass. The D70s is superior to the D40 and D60, and is pretty much similar to the D80 in all ways except the sensor. It can be had for the same price as the D40.

Does is really matter that the camera is discontinued? EX: D200 and D80

Does is really matter that the camera is discontinued? EX: D200 and D80
i dont really think i understand what you mean with your question
I dont think it matters if the camera is discontined the D70 when i bought it.

Wait a month or two and see what comes out. It might be worth the wait.

If not then I would look at the D200 and an 18-70mm. Look hard at the D90 if buying new and in a hurry though.

D200 is better if you can't swing a new D90, or others.

Most reactions

Back