luckydog

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.cracked-lenz.smugmug.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey folks,
Got a call back about a job i applied for, asking me to come back in for a second interview (final 3 out of 85 applicants). Was all prepared for it as i had it down pat for the first interview which ended up pretty informal. Turned up early, they were 40 mins late (stuck in a conference), intros exchanged and then BLAMMO!
The position is a combination of stores control/inventory management/staff trainer and the guy interviewing was an Engineer. Here i am expecting to sell myself, talk about experiences, goals etc and he goes off in a way out tangent talking about handling company budgets, financial control and expenditure and stuff not related to the position. I think he was looking for adaptability if required to work in other sections, but he confused the heck out of me and in the end i walked out the door not knowing how the hell the whole thing went. I now have 2-3 weeks of not knowing until i hear back, if at all.
Bugger, bum, poo!!!
:(
I now know for future interviews to make sure i know everything about stuff that i know nothing about.

Sorry to hear that - but it has always been my experience that 9 out of 10 companies recruiting don't actually have a clue as to what they are looking for in a candidate. They advertise one job description, interview you for another and, if you get the job, you find it has nothing to do with either one.
I suspect if you get an offer you'll seriously think about wether you want to work for people like that. You just know what the experience will be like.
Further Ed in the UK is very much like that. They want people with a long accademic history but who have also worked in Industry for a long time. They want you to be highly qualified as well but of course you must also be very cheap as they don't want to pay you much.
The best 'stupid' interview I ever had was for a HoD in an Art College. The first question came from the Principal.
"Tell me. What makes you think you can do this job?"
"The fact that you've got me here for an interview. If you don't think I'm capable of doing it then please tell me why I am here."
That was the end of the interview - but I'd already decided I didn't want the job.

to me it doesn't sound like a company that is well organized; or at least focused on their human resource/personnel dept.

interviews are a process generally in which you are being investigated and scored; maybe you should do a bit of research on this company and possibly speak with a few former employees to get a better sense of what you're getting into if hired.

Take heart, lucky. Engineers are not HR people. They cannot be expected to have the slightest idea of how to interview anyone. If this guy came off sounding rambling and out of context, and you were able to at least hold your own in what was undoubtedly a bizarre interview, then you probably did as well as could be expected.

You should be asking yourself why this guy was picked to interview you. Where were the HR people? What did this have to do with the actual position? Are they, in fact, trying to steer you in another direction that perhaps does not appeal to you?

You can either let it ride and wait out the next couple weeks, or you might want to call the initial people you spoke with about the advertised opening - and tell them about the interview. Say you are certainly interested in working for them, but the nature of the second interview did not seem in tune with your initial conversations. Or words to that effect. ;)

Either way, good luck! :thumbup:

Hey people,
Thanks for the feedback on this. The company is BAE Systems (formerly British Aerospace) so they're a pretty big and reputable bunch. Everyone i know who works there really enjoy it too. The engineer is the next guy up the food chain from the manager so 2 up from my spot. As for the HR staff, well interview one she left the room 5 mins in before she'd even spoken (after someone was tapping on the window. Second interview she was in a conference and never showed up.
I'll see how it plays out before i mention anything to the company, but if i miss out believe me there will be a letter or two. :)

Back to the drawing board for the new career. Although got a phone call from an employment agency today about a job i applied for last week. They're keen to see what the Luckster has to offer, but they want me to do a Psych test???? What's doing there???? I mean i'll do it but is it an IQ, aptitude or how loopy r u test?
I'm confused :p

bastards.

i've had to take nutter tests as well for a few jobs myself. never ever got hired for any of those positions :crazy:

Is it just a psychological test or a psychoanalytical test?
The first one is where they figure out what sort of person you are ... passive agressive artistic... blah blah blah. You can do heaps of these tests on the net. The second one is much more interesting and harder to fake and much more difficult!! I did one a year ago and passed (somewhat miraculously). They test how you think and how good you are at thinking thqt way.
For example, my psychoanalytical test was for an Air Traffic Control position. So they tested our maths skills in a simple multiple choice test (make sure you ask if you're penalised for wrong answers!!).

Then we got tested on our estimation skills. We had to watch a ball travel across the screen, then the ball disappeared and we had to guess where it would be after a few seconds.

Then we got tested on doing multiple things at once by doing a few different test. I wont bore you with the details but it was tough! ( just like the real job i guess)
Then we got put in a really simplified simulator of the job and had to guide aircraft etc while complying with certain rules in the 'game'.

Unfortunately after fighting it out with 800 other people, I got down to the last 20 or so and then buggered up my interview. They said I wasn't mature enough! *sob*

Good luck!! and research well!!

Regarding job interwievs, I've applied for a job at one American company on Cayman Islands. I've already passed the first interwiev, and next month I'll go to the final one. Could anyone give me a link or else on "How to trick American interwievers - tips and tricks", please?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back