Second lens to randomly start backfocusing (Nikon)

CThomas817

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am shooting on a d800 and this is my SECOND lens to suddenly begin backfocusing with no prior issues. This lens is a Nikon 50mm 1.4 D and I have been using for a year on the same body with tack sharp focus. This same issue happened with my Nikon 85mm 1.8 G a few months ago. It was fine for several months and then boom one day it started to back focus. I calibrated that one and now it's fine but I'm starting to think it's the body... or me. I certainly do not think it's the lenses as they had no prior issue.

1. Yes white balance was accurate (I use a calibration target in all situations)
2. There was enough ambient light
3. There was enough contrast on subject (properly exposed, focusing on eye of a light-skinned dark-eyed child with thick lashes). I tested in a few different areas to make sure it was not situation dependent

What should I consider to be the issue?

I had that issue with my former D800 when using long zoom.... my long zoom and D800 are now gone. I know that wasn't much help.
I tried adjusting it many times, and it was frustrating me.

I had that issue with my former D800 when using long zoom.... my long zoom and D800 are now gone. I know that wasn't much help.
I tried adjusting it many times, and it was frustrating me.

At least I'm not alone!

I am shooting on a d800 and this is my SECOND lens to suddenly begin backfocusing with no prior issues

It's not the lens, it's the body. expect to pay Nikon ~$250 to solve the problem.

the D800 is PLAGUED with back-focusing issues that stems from a misaligned of the AF module and/or lens mount. they should have been recalled. just google it.

If you're lucky it's only a ~$150 repair for them to realign the AF module, but most repairs are also getting len mounts replaced as well and that jumps it up to $250.

I've personally shot with (3) D800s now and all have exhibited the back-focusing issue -- I had my personal one repaired.

Last edited:
I am shooting on a d800 and this is my SECOND lens to suddenly begin backfocusing with no prior issues

It's not the lens, it's the body. expect to pay Nikon ~$250 to solve the problem.

the D800 is PLAGUED with back-focusing issues that stems from a misaligned of the AF module and/or lens mount. they should have been recalled. just google it.

If you're lucky it's only a ~$150 repair for them to realign the AF module, but most repairs are also getting len mounts replaced as well and that jumps it up to $250.

I've personally shot with (3) D800s now and all have exhibited the back-focusing issue -- I had my personal one repaired.

Ugh, thanks. This is so irritating! I will contact Nikon.

Most reactions

Back