Second live concert, Possibly my last. C&C please

TylerF

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I think I am going to stop live band photography because though I love bands and music, it's a little boring. Every show seems to be the same (I go to local shows only really) They all are people on stage moving around lol. And there's always 11 teenage girls there with their cameras getting in the way. I need a faster lens and a body that has better iso capabilities. But the lens I would only use for concerts so I think I'm going to stop live band photography and do stuff that allows me to be more creative. That being said, here are some photos from tonight. Fog machines make things so hard haha. I know there's a lot. sorry.

1t6a2u.jpg

124kcnn.jpg

28s8qrr.jpg

6zogwp.jpg

xngspy.jpg

28at553.jpg

2pt0x1c.jpg

2ypm2hw.jpg

2n7hwi.jpg

fee0cj.jpg

2m6kff5.jpg

Last edited:
That's a shame you want to stop. You managed to get a lot of keepers in a tough photo-taking environment.

Still, if you're not into it, can't help that. Just saying, great work.

Thanks for the kind words! I love it but at the same time it's too predictable and I don't find much of a challenge from show to show. And I feel like I'm just another "kid with a dslr" when I'm there amongst all the other people shooting. Almost like people think I'm trying to be cool lol. I don't know. I'm torn haha

Tyler, I'm sure your pix are better than the teeny boppers'. I don't think you should quit unless you're not able to sell them. Often, the stuff that is the most boring is also the most profitable.

Most of the guys look like they're passing gallstones or something though, hehehe.

haha that's the look most of them have all the time lol. I can imagine that i'm doing a little better than the little girls in auto mode and built in flash, but i have never sold anything photography related. I feel awkward charging people i know lol

I bet they all fantasize about being Phil Anselmo ( lets see who gets that refrerence. ) I agree they are pretty good, aside from the abundance of pics making them look like they are trying to eat the mic.

I agree with you about the amount of singer shots, but I was very restricted to movement, and the fog machines were too close to the guitarists. As for the drummer, i got more of him playing but the band said that was the best shot that has ever been taken of him lol. I had to climb on stage which was pretty cool but difficult at the same time. Trust me, I do focus on more members but the situation i was presented with made it almost impossible

this is the room lol notice no spot for photographers, I had to set my camera down multiple times and push people off me:

2093udj.jpg

heres some shots from another show where there was more room to move and no fog lol. just to show that i dont focus on the "screamo" moments lol. It's not screamo btw lol

28rzfoo.jpg

14szc3p.jpg

1zlgpdx.jpg

ke9g00.jpg

I think it might be a great way of picking up groupies, lol.
Just a thought.
Good pictures for that enviroment. I like them.
atf

oops vtf lol my mind is going

You've done well to grab good shots in live/high pressured situations. I think the problem with live band photography is that it's always the same result- the live singer on stage with a microphone, the stage diver etc. why not try to get an exclusive editorial with the bands and picture them in different situations?

I really like the second and the last shoots. The pics are really good and prof., nevertheless if you feel like moving further and doing smth more creative, you absolutely must do this!

I don't really blame you. I got really bored with concerts too.

Last one I shot was on assignment covering a Redman & Method Man show. :lol: it was a bit unusual, so it was fun, but that was July and I haven't done a show since.

Most rock/metal shows are extremely predictable and boring to me. I think the key to staying interested in shooting concerts is to make sure you get around to different venues and try different genres of music.

Drinking helps. :lol:

Agree... I don't do live shows any more. Instead I work with local bands to do "staged" shoots where the environment is controllable.

Although, I am shooting video from a live performance next week for a music video. But it's just b-roll to intercut into the rest of the video which will be shot downtown and in a local warehouse.

Almost like people think I'm trying to be cool lol. I don't know. I'm torn haha

Its not important if some people "think" you are trying to be cool. As long as you enjoy it.

The only reason not to do any more concerts is because you don't want to. Not what others think...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back