Secondary body to my D7200

ntz

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,

I will go in January to the "landscape photography trip of my dreams" to the Scotland. I need a backup camera to my primary Nikon D7200. I am definitely a budget shooter so I don't see a lot of options what I can do .. I am already aiming at used Nikon D750 (I have 24-70 f/2.8 and 70-200mm f/4 FX lenses, see my signature) because there are a lot of similarities between these two cameras (D7200 ergonomics, handling, button layout, battery - all same as D750). Used Nikon D750 should be affordable for $500.

I don't see much other options. Honestly I don't. I can save even more and buy used D7200 body but when I am doing so, I'd prefer to not have two same bodies. Eventually I can squeeze more juice from my account and go for Nikon Z5 + FTZ (I don't want Mk1 of Z6 and Z6 Mk2 is really too pricey) OR go for used D810 but after a lot of consideration I don't want to spend much money for camera that I will want eventually upgrade soon later (eg D810 is nice but it has fixed display, issues with shuttershock and I will want to upgrade that, Z5 is entry level into mirrorless, without shoulder display, I will eventually want to go for a Z6 mk2 and also Z5 + FTZ even used is still relatively pricey). On the other hand, the Z5 has great scores in reviews ...

So summary, my options are (sorted by as I like them):

1) used Nikon D750 - $500
2) ??? Please advise ???
3) used Z5 + FTZ ~ $1200 (too pricey but ... it's so tempting, and on the other hand, I like the DSRL durability and reliability)
4) used D810 - $850 (relatively pricey and it has fixed display, shuttershock ++ reading this, I believe that there's no significant improvement Vs D750)
**5) not buy another camera now and go with what I have (I have three digital cameras - Nikon D7200, Nikon D5100 and Fujifilm X100F)

thanks for you help ..

cheers, ~dan

ps. As for focal lengths - I have great ultra-wide-angle zoom lens for DX which is my Tokina 11-20mm f/2.8 (~16-30mm on FX) and then my two other main lenses are FX lenses anyway (24-70 + 70-200). I still believe that my 24MP DX will have a bit better results with my FX lenses during the daylight landscape photography because of using the lenses center and not using edge with FX, also I have a curcular magnetic filters and they are stackable without the vignette on FX lenses mounted on DX bodies

Last edited:
Ok, definitely .. I don't wanna go for Nikon Z camera ... there are no available lenses and those from Nikon are unholy overpriced ... using a F-mount lenses with FTZ is crutch ...

Looks like you have thought it through and the D750 is a very good choice. The D750 is still many professional wedding photographers workhourse. Make sure you take spare batteries (they both take the same battery) and enough mem cards (looks like they can share mem cards as well). Good luck and enjoy.

Reactions: ntz
Looks like you have thought it through and the D750 is a very good choice. The D750 is still many professional wedding photographers workhourse. Make sure you take spare batteries (they both take the same battery) and enough mem cards (looks like they can share mem cards as well). Good luck and enjoy.

thanks for the input ... I am still not fully decided :D .. yet still in the game are D750 and D810 and also the option #5 ..

I had a discussion today with my good friend, my photo buddy, really good professional photographer and we were discussing that back in 2017 when Nikon were releasing first Z-mount cameras everything looked shiny and bright ... technical articles all around the internet were claiming, that mirrorless cameras are cheaper to product and fast lenses will be cheaper and better too and 4 years after there are still almost no native lenses except from Nikon (and they are heavily overpriced) and Nikon mirrorless cameras seem to follow same price policy like before .. My friend uses Nikon Z50 and Nikon Z7 and he told me that he is considering to buy a D850 for his professional work because he uses a Sigma Art lenses mostly which are still no avail unless you wanna to use F-mount lenses with FTZ

my financial situation changed since November 30 so I am now not so much keen into spending $2000+ (at least) for new camera just because I am haunted by GAS (or I just want it) ..

I'm totally melting towards used D850 for something around $2000 and 5-15k on shutter counter ... OMG, I need some help from psychologist ... this is just GAS attack

If you go FX (750/850), it will likely end up replacing your DX D-7200.
The DX lenses will shoot in DX mode on the FX cameras. So you lose resolution, since you are not using the full sensor.
You have two DX lenses which at some point, you will likely end up replacing with FX lenses.
- The DX 35/1.8 will get replaced by the FX 50/1.8. And the DX 11-20/2.8 will get replaced by ?

If this is a back up camera mostly due to your trip, why not rent something? Then save the rest of your money for when you can afford to get what you want.

thanks for the input ... I am still not fully decided :D .. yet still in the game are D750 and D810 and also the option #5 ..

I had a discussion today with my good friend, my photo buddy, really good professional photographer and we were discussing that back in 2017 when Nikon were releasing first Z-mount cameras everything looked shiny and bright ... technical articles all around the internet were claiming, that mirrorless cameras are cheaper to product and fast lenses will be cheaper and better too and 4 years after there are still almost no native lenses except from Nikon (and they are heavily overpriced) and Nikon mirrorless cameras seem to follow same price policy like before .. My friend uses Nikon Z50 and Nikon Z7 and he told me that he is considering to buy a D850 for his professional work because he uses a Sigma Art lenses mostly which are still no avail unless you wanna to use F-mount lenses with FTZ

my financial situation changed since November 30 so I am now not so much keen into spending $2000+ (at least) for new camera just because I am haunted by GAS (or I just want it) ..
Personally, I have a D850, D500, D800, and D7200. The D850 is arguably the best dslr every made. A phenomenal camera, but still expensive, even used if you can find one. Of the choices you listed, the D750, which shares batteries and mem cards is a great choice. If you want to add another body for general purpose photography like landscapes and portraits, but not a D750, then look at a D800E at 36.3mp. The D800 was the first generation of modern sensors and there have been small improvements since then, but the D800 sensor still holds it own and D800Es are dirt cheap. The big difference between more modern bodies and older bodies is the ability of the AF systems. The newer the better with the D850 and D500 sharing the same AF system with the D5.

If you are going mirrorless, the only Nikon that exceeds the capabilities of the D850 is the Z9. I put my pre-order in the day it was announced. If you don’t want a Z9, then best to look at a Canon R5. Great camera and Canon has a large mirroless lens assortment and as you say, 3rd party manufacturers, are making glass for them, but I’m sure they will be making glass for Nikons mirrorless given the Z9 announcement.

If you are unsure, you can rent a spare body for your trip and postpone your decision.

I have new great opportunity to consider, I can get for $400 used D610

If you go FX (750/850), it will likely end up replacing your DX D-7200.
The DX lenses will shoot in DX mode on the FX cameras. So you lose resolution, since you are not using the full sensor.
You have two DX lenses which at some point, you will likely end up replacing with FX lenses.
- The DX 35/1.8 will get replaced by the FX 50/1.8. And the DX 11-20/2.8 will get replaced by ?
I rented already several times D750 earlier and I know that in reality it doesn't bring for my type of photography any improvement in IQ compared to D7200, moreover I don't have ultra-wide lenses for FX so for landscapes I will be certainly using my D7200 + Tokina 11-20mm ..

If this is a back up camera mostly due to your trip, why not rent something? Then save the rest of your money for when you can afford to get what you want.
good point ... but renting the camera for 9 days seems as wasting the resources .. for 2-3 days maybe but 9 days will not be cheap

Personally, I have a D850, D500, D800, and D7200. The D850 is arguably the best dslr every made. A phenomenal camera, but still expensive, even used if you can find one. Of the choices you listed, the D750, which shares batteries and mem cards is a great choice. If you want to add another body for general purpose photography like landscapes and portraits, but not a D750, then look at a D800E at 36.3mp. The D800 was the first generation of modern sensors and there have been small improvements since then, but the D800 sensor still holds it own and D800Es are dirt cheap. The big difference between more modern bodies and older bodies is the ability of the AF systems. The newer the better with the D850 and D500 sharing the same AF system with the D5.

If you are going mirrorless, the only Nikon that exceeds the capabilities of the D850 is the Z9. I put my pre-order in the day it was announced. If you don’t want a Z9, then best to look at a Canon R5. Great camera and Canon has a large mirroless lens assortment and as you say, 3rd party manufacturers, are making glass for them, but I’m sure they will be making glass for Nikons mirrorless given the Z9 announcement.

If you are unsure, you can rent a spare body for your trip and postpone your decision.
I am not going mirrorless, strong decision made already .. I am sticking with Nikon F-mount

x

I have new great opportunity to consider, I can get for $400 used D610

If you are going FX, I would pass on the D610 and go for the 750.
For a backup camera it might be OK.

I rented already several times D750 earlier and I know that in reality it doesn't bring for my type of photography any improvement in IQ compared to D7200, moreover I don't have ultra-wide lenses for FX so for landscapes I will be certainly using my D7200 + Tokina 11-20mm ..

Yes the D7200 and D750 have about the same resolution.
However, if you get the D850, the resolution would increase significantly.

For $500, I don't think you can go wrong with the D750.

You should have bought my D800 or D610. Can you really get a D750 for $500? I sold my D610 for $525.

If I had the choice I'd pick D750 over D610 every single time -- unless the D610 was free. Nothing against the D610 still a really great camera, but the D750 focusing module is just that much better.

If I had the choice I'd pick the D810 over the D750 every single time. The resolution and buttons/interface, IMHO, is that much better and it's designed for landscape and portrait photography...

but if I bought either, the D7200 would become my backup...

Last edited:
You should have bought my D800 or D610. Can you really get a D750 for $500? I sold my D610 for $525.

If I had the choice I'd pick D750 over D610 every single time -- unless the D610 was free. Nothing against the D610 still a really great camera, but the D750 focusing module is just that much better.

If I had the choice I'd pick the D810 over the D750 every single time. The resolution and buttons/interface, IMHO, is that much better and it's designed for landscape and portrait photography...

but if I bought either, the D7200 would become my backup...
with D810 will become D7200 backup for sure, but unfortunately I do not own a FX ultra-wide angle lens so still for range ~16-24mm (FX-like) I will be using my D7200 and Tokina 11-20mm f/2.8 which is awesome combo .. Moreover those lenses \w bulging front element and integrated hood (aka Nikon 14-24mm or Tokina 16-28mm - and me as to Tokina fanboy, I will really want latter) cannot accept filters anyway (at least easily) ...

It's really hard to decide now .. My heart attacked by GAS and other gear related syndromes whispers to my ear `go for used D850, do it now, you'll do it later anyway' and my mind shouts at me `are you crazy ?? $2000 for D850 when you have a new baby in the house and you're going to your selfish trip anyway ?? don't you have enough cameras ?? you fool, you even cannot shoot so why another camera ...'

Trade in the 7200 and use it to get the upgraded body and a used lens for it.

• Haha
Trade in the 7200 and use it to get the upgraded body and a used lens for it.
never !!! I love my D7200 ... and it's the best camera .. it's considered as best APS-C camera IQ-wise (surely not ergonomics and features) in the world ...

and moreover, my GAS illness doesn't let me to sell gear ... I've never sold any camera .. I have D7200, D5100, Fujifilm X100F and something like 10 film cameras and no, I cannot imagine that I will let one of my kids go (however some of my cameras are older than me)

Peg, I am hoarding guy :)

Most reactions

Back