Seeking 12% gray card

Involute

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Can someone point me to an online supplier in the US of 12% gray cards? I'm having a heck of a time finding one. Everything's 18% or unidentified. Thanks.

Good luck - I've never found a 12%.

Why do you need a 12% gray card?
I'm trying to become a little more rigorous in my shoots and hope to get a starting exposure that's closer to what I settle on by using a gray card. While 18% is the historical standard, there's a school of thought that it's an artifact of the printing industry (and even Ansel Adams' eccentric insistence with Kodak), and that 12% is more appropriate for digital photography as that's the value most manufacturers calibrate their sensors to per the ANSI standard.

Good luck - I've never found a 12%.
12%'s been discussed long enough that I assumed there were several manufacturers. Maybe there's an opportunity here? ;-) Of course, there still seem to be a lot of opinions on this topic.

I think DGK makes a 12%.

You camera's ISO variance from the stated levels is likely much greater than the 6% difference between 12 and 18%. Check DxO Mark for the nominal and ACTUAL ISO values of various sensors and it will become apparent that 12% or 18% is not going to make any difference. There is theory, and there is practice. "Most" cameras have a fairly substantial, deliberate mis-calibration of nominal ISO and actual ISO; it makes the noise values look better in the magazine and web tests.

Agree with Derral. Usefulness of a grey card is a myth.

Why do you need a 12% gray card?
I'm trying to become a little more rigorous in my shoots and hope to get a starting exposure that's closer to what I settle on by using a gray card. While 18% is the historical standard, there's a school of thought that it's an artifact of the printing industry (and even Ansel Adams' eccentric insistence with Kodak), and that 12% is more appropriate for digital photography as that's the value most manufacturers calibrate their sensors to per the ANSI standard.

If you shoot Nikon,you can use the custom function called Fine-tune Optimal Exposure, and dial in an offset of as small as 1/6 of an EV value, and call it good. That fine-tuning offset will NOT be indicated by the in-camera metering display, but is instead a "hidden" and "behind the scenes" adjustment or calibration, much like the inside-trhe-back-cover calibration screw that so many hand held light meters have used for decades.

You should be able to find something other than 18% in a fine art framing store. They have several options for mats so they might have one that would work.

Can someone point me to an online supplier in the US of 12% gray cards? I'm having a heck of a time finding one. Everything's 18% or unidentified. Thanks.

You can meter on the 18% card, and then open exposure by 1/2 stop more (which will then be 12% equivalent).

The Kodak gray cards we see now were NOT manufactured by Kodak. Kodak has not manufactured a gray card for 20 years, when they sold that business and the right to use the Kodak name on it. So quality may no longer be the same, but Kodak used to tell us to open 1/2 stop if metering on their 18% card.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Usefulness of a grey card is a myth.
At least for exposure.

A better tool for exposure is a good incident/reflected/flash light meter that gives you values in 1/10 stop increments.

IMO, the best calibrated gray card on the market is the GENUINE WhiBal G7 Certified Neutral White Balance Card - Studio Card (3.5"x6")

Which of course is much lighter, not even close to being an 18% card for exposure. It has to be calibrated because of trying to use gray pigments. Use of White is not a big deal.

There are a few myths... using an 18% card for WB is another one of them. Can work halfway well, better than nothing, but too dark for White balance, and not calibrated for color.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back