Seeking a good 17-XXmm walkaround lens for under $500

But the Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4.5 is also a nice lens on the 40D, that is what I bought just last week. I looked at the Tamron 17-50, but wanted the macro funtion of the Sigma and the extra range to meet my 70-200 f4L.

The response from B&H tells me that they're probably ALL Chinese. Chinese stuff can be made for cheaper, which results in a higher profit margin, yaddi yaddi yada...

I think you're going to be a very happy pup. And then you'll get your 70-200 IS f/2.8 and you'll be set!

You might be right. Usually that's not how it works tho. Usually the bulk production (for world export) will be done abroad and units designated for Japan are made in Japan. Distribution is loose tho and Chinese ones end up here and Japanese one end up there. In almost all Japanese shops they will tell you - and usually have both (if they have both in stock) on display with different price-tags. Just asking why one is 10% more will get you the answer "because that one is made in Japan and of a slightly higher build quality". I dunno if it's always true or if labor is just higher here and I'm certain this is not always the case. For example Ricoh has extremely strict distribution zoning regulations and if they find out a dealer or wholesale outlet is shipping outside their zone they ban them permanently. In another case there may be some company that has all of it's manufacturing done abroad - period. etc. So what I'm saying is only generally true and holds for larger manufacturers of electronics, cars, and appliances.

I dunno much about Tamron specifically. I know they used to be called Taisei Kogaku Kogyo back in the 50's or something, that they made their cash making and selling mount rings for just about everyone (it used to be that just about every camera maker used their rings - they invented Nikon's F afaik, and etc. etc.), and that they recently (97/98?) opened up their 1st China based factory in Foshan which is right in the middle of China.

I don't have a very high opinion of them but what do I know? I haven't used their lens goods in 20 years - at least not on purpose. :confused:

+1 for the Tamron. I own one and have never had anything to complain about. Maybe the focus could be a bit better on my Nikon D80.
I don't think there necessarily is a difference between Made in China and Made in Japan when it comes to their lenses. Nobody here's been to the Tamron factory in Japan and/or China, and nobody here is probably able to compare their production and quality control methods. Everybody knows that Made in China products tend to be of lesser quality of Made in Japan products, but that doesn't mean Tamron products do. I bought mine in Japan, but I've read a lot of good reviews from people everywhere outside Japan before bying it, and I doubt that it would be getting good reviews if the lenses for foreign markets were sub-standard. Fact is, the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 is good lens, wherever you buy it.

Most reactions

Back