Seeking critique on frequency separation, composition, and color tones

returntovendor

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi,

I’m beginning to pick up frequency separation as a way to improve skin texture. I’m trying to find a healthy balance and hope that I can get some advice on my work as well as the composition and colors of this portrait.

IMG_6630.JPG

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Like any technique there are situations where one works better then another. I don't recall using FS for skin softening much in the last few months. I've learned to use a combination of dodging and burning on 50% gray layer, thanks to TPF's Dan Ostergren and the surface blur w/mask. By using a varying opacity on a brush and the layer opacity I can selectively brush in a softening without destroying the skin texture. The dodge/burn layer allows you to further minimize blemishes and accentuate facial structure. All much faster then FS.

can you attach here? imgur is blocked here... :(

can you attach here? imgur is blocked here... :(

Sorry about that, I had no idea! I could see the image I had linked. I've uploaded the image now, please let me know if it isn't visible.

its my isp here... still cant see it. oh well.

I think the background needs to be considered; there's a shadowed dark area to the left and the edge of a tree to the right, and tilted looking pattern of grid lines behind her. It would be better to think about how the background will look in pictures when deciding where to have a subject stand.

For me it's too much editing comparing the face to the hair and neck/clothing. It almost looks like rather heavy makeup. It also would have helped to arrange the long hair since it creates lines against the lighter clothing. It would have helped to have the subject arrange the clothing a little too because it looks like the jacket was pulling slightly on the neckline.

its my isp here... still cant see it. oh well.

How about this, can you see it?
(Note, I did no editing and changing of this photo at all. I merely "Snipped It" and repost in hopes that Braineack could see it.)

Capture TPF.JPG

Last edited:
The OP's original image looks decenton the face and hair and eyes, but the backdrop is a bit 'busy' I would say. Still...looks quite acceptable without looking overly fakey.

I just wanna see an exposure bump of like .5 to 1EV.

Most reactions

Back