Seeking detailed guides on noise reduction

Film shooters embrace grain this is another problem with digital

What film shooters would those be? Never heard any landscape photographers shooting with film talk about all the great grain in their shots. Street photographers maybe
You probably don't know one person that shoots film

Derrel - in RAW conversion I tend to only remove colour-noise and do basic sharpening (mostly set at default) just so that I've got a workable image to deal with. The major noise reduction I do tends to be outside of RAW conversion.

If there is any noise, do the noise reduction before any sharpening, otherwise you are sharpening noise.

Go into LAB mode and Gaussian blur the a/b channels

I know throwing money at a problem isn't usually a good solution, and while the 7d is a good camera, that or indeed any crop camera at the moment is really not suited to 25600 iso. 1600-25600 ranges were indeed practically unheard of a few years ago. Apart from the money issue to upgrade and the loss of field of view with existing lenses if you have a bit of an issue to get detail with existing kit, it might be worth while downloading a trial version of a few noise pluggins or standalone programs and see which one does the best job for you with minimum effort

Most reactions

Back