Seeking new UWA or WA zoom.

A/Ox4

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
I am looking to spend some tax return money on a new lens. I mostly shoot for the local fire departments, but also do some for hire work, mostly commercial property, vehicles, etc. I also really like landscape photography.

I have a Nikon D750, a Tamron 70-200 2.8 and a Tokina 16-28 2.8 PRO.
I have a wide gap between 28mm and 70mm that I need to fill, but I'm actually looking at replacing the Tokina 16-28 in favor of a lens without a bulbus front element, and one that's maybe lighter. One issue with the Tokina is distortion with no profile in Lightroom to correct for it. It also catches a LOT of glare from lights and the sun.

I really like the idea of a Nikon 16-35 f/4 VR. I shoot a lot at 2.8, but with the VR, I could probably get away with F/4, which would be good for DOF.

Any recommendations on other WA zooms? I know Sigma and Tamron have some good lenses in that range.

Examples:
DSC_5922.jpg by Trey Spooner Photography, on Flickr

DSC_4532.jpg by Trey Spooner Photography, on Flickr

DSC_5622 by Trey Spooner Photography, on Flickr​

John Hunt

Reaction score
The Tamron 15-30 f2.8 is fantastic lens. Still has the bulbous front element and its not any lighter but it has a good profile in Lightroom and doesn't glare with lights. You can have the sun in the photo and just get a nice starburst. The VR also works very well I've gone out shooting in the middle of the night handheld. Here is an example.
DSC_7761.jpg

480sparky

Chief Free Electron Relocator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
pixels.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
You're really going to limit your choices when you dismiss any option that has a bulbous front element. It's like saying, "I want a new car, but I don't want anything that uses a steering wheel!".

OP
A/Ox4

A/Ox4

Reaction score
I could tolerate a bulbus lens. I mostly wanted to be able to use filters, but I could get a prime or another lens I suppose too.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Most reactions