SEL55210 alternatives for Sony NEX?

erotavlas

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi, just wondering if anyone recommends any alternative lenses to the Sony SEL55210. Basically I have the lens now but I wan't crazy about its sharpness and slowness. When I use it I find that I zoom all the way to 210mm because obviously I don't want to get too close to my subject (usually some animal or bird) so that's probably affecting a bit my image quality. I would consider a fixed focal length maybe 135mm or more. Like the Zeiss A mount 135mm. Since I have the adaptor. I was considering the G lens 70mm - 300mm but when I tried it in the store it was massive! and sutofocus was slow on the Nex using the adaptor.

Anyway I just wanted to get some advice. Another option is one of the Canon L lenses but I'm guessing they are big as well.

brunerww

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi erotavlas - If you already have the LA-EA2 adapter, I would try the Sigma 70-300mm DG OS lens ($476CDN at amazon.ca). It is the only image stabilized 300mm lens for Alpha mount. I would not use Canon or any other manual, non-stabilized lens for wildlife photography.

Hope this is helpful,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Last edited:

dxqcanada

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Hmm, you want a high IQ telephoto zoom that has fast AF, and not physically large for wildlife photography?
No such thing.

135mm and crop heavily ... or maybe a Maxxum 200mm f/2.8 HS ?

OP
erotavlas

erotavlas

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi erotavlas - If you already have the LA-EA2 adapter, I would try the Sigma 70-300mm DG OS lens ($476CDN at amazon.ca). It is the only image stabilized 300mm lens for Alpha mount. I would not use Canon or any other manual, non-stabilized lens for wildlife photography.

Hope this is helpful,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Yes that is helpful. I agree I was considering a sharp manual focus lens, but for example taking photo's of birds or other fast moving animals is really hard to focus manually. I have a hard enough time maintaining focus with the SEL55210, its a bit slow.
I only have the LA-EA1 adaptor, but I can get the EA2 adaptor, I think its on sale right now. That might open up a lot more options for me.

OP
erotavlas

erotavlas

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
What if I paired the LA-EA2 with the Carl Zeiss 135mm? Can I do without the image stabilization?
Or that vs Canon EF 200mm f2.8II USM with a canon-nex adaptor?

Last edited:

DiskoJoe

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi, just wondering if anyone recommends any alternative lenses to the Sony SEL55210. Basically I have the lens now but I wan't crazy about its sharpness and slowness. When I use it I find that I zoom all the way to 210mm because obviously I don't want to get too close to my subject (usually some animal or bird) so that's probably affecting a bit my image quality. I would consider a fixed focal length maybe 135mm or more. Like the Zeiss A mount 135mm. Since I have the adaptor. I was considering the G lens 70mm - 300mm but when I tried it in the store it was massive! and sutofocus was slow on the Nex using the adaptor.

Anyway I just wanted to get some advice. Another option is one of the Canon L lenses but I'm guessing they are big as well.

The nex is a small camera so it is not going to have as fast a focusing motor as a DSLR or SLT. You might want to look into getting a different motor.

Most reactions

New Topics