50mm aps-c

TreeofLifeStairs

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
TreeofLifeStairs.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a Sony nex-7 which has an APS-C sensor. I hear people talking about using 50mm lenses but do they use that size because they are using full frame sensors with it? Since a 35mm on my camera is about the equivalent to a 50mm on a full frame should I be looking into a 35mm instead or is there something unique about the 50mm that doesn't matter about the sensor size?

unpopular

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
I personally find that a 50mm lens still is a 50mm lens on APS-C. It's just cropped in the middle. I use 50mm more than any other lens because I am most familiar with 50mm from film.

But that said, I think a fast 35 is probably better suited.

Kolia

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
There is nothing special about 50mm lens.

The FoV of a 50mm on a FF camera will match the average human perspective. With your NEX you will want a 35mm to get a similar result.

unpopular

Reaction score
There is nothing special about 50mm lens.

Bokeh is traditionally more appealing at a lower price point, but with APS-C, many modern, fast 35mm lenses are more than suitable at relatively low prices.

The FoV of a 50mm on a FF camera will match the average human perspective.

With one eye closed. 35mm is closer to the human FOV, while 50mm is closer to magnification - on 35mm format naturally.

(note that due to our stereoscopic vision, magnification is directly relative to FOV)

JDFlood

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I prefer a 35mm on my full frame and a 23mm or there-a-bouts on my APS-c. Unless you are photographing people I find this FOV and DOF to be ideal "normal lenses" for landscape, street, architecture. I hear most pro photographers ( not portrait) also use this. The standard 50mm came from a standard for light duty around home kinda of amateurs shooting of the family. So it became you fathers Oldsmobile... And has persisted as an urban myth. I recommend trying wider, if your not shooting heads, you'll find nice dDOF. JD

DiskoJoe

Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
The focal length just depends on what you want to do with it. I like my 50mm on my aps-c for portraits since its a 75mm equivalent. But if you want something that will render what is close to a 50mm on FF then get a 35mm. If you want a 35mm equivalent then get a 24mm. They make a really awesome Zeiss 24mm f2 in a e-mount for nex.

SLR magic also makes a 35mm f1.7 thats good quality and uber cheap.

Most reactions

ClickASnap

New Topics