Selections from my first "real" roll..C&C please!

cestlefun17

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I got back the second roll of film I shot on the Canon Rebel T2 35mm I recently bought. The first roll was mostly test shots and the few real shots I took came out terrible. However, I think these came out pretty good.

Some things I've noticed: the images are probably a little overexposed and some are not focused perfectly. I used "Kruger" brand speed 400 film (it came free with the camera). Would I be correct in saying that a 100 speed film would have been better for these photos?

Also, I took these around 5:00PM. I know I should have waited until about 7 but my sister was going to a party.

I think #1 and #6 are my favorites.

PS: What does C&C stand for? Comment and critique?

Last edited:
Sorry...it's says I can't attach photos to posts (perhaps I don't have enough?) Also...I can't get links 1 and 2 to work...I'll try to fix in.

EDIT: Photos now properly displayed.

Last edited:
The Noise or the grainy looking texture to the shots is caused by the higher ISO. Typically 400 isn't too bad. I've seen it recommended mostly as the "any type of shot" film. It's versatile but doesn't capitalize on any given type of shoot.

For portraiture you want to lower the ISO as far as possible, it will give you a cleaner look to the shot. With your given pictures, it might cause a problem because of the dog, any quick movement would distort the shot.

As far as the shots go. I think metering of light could of been better. The dog appears really dark. I'm not 100% sure on how to do it, but I think if you would of metered off the dog he would of come out lighter, at the same time, it might of made your sister appear very bright.

My favorite shot is of your sis alone. I like the fall of her hair and her expression. As far as composition goes, I would of liked to have seen her left justified a bit more, and possible zoomed out a bit.

I'm not pro, definetly a beginner as well. I had the Rebel Ti when I started, but picked up a 30D when I had the chance. Have fun playing with film, different films produce different results, can be just as important as the technical shooting.

Thanks. I couldn't use my light-meter because I was using a pre-setting (Portrait Mode). I tried some pictures in various degrees of light. These gave the best balance between my sister and my dog.

Next time I'll try experimenting with the manual modes (which allow you to use the light meter). I'll remember to try to meter off different subjects: that's not something I would have thought of.

Most reactions

Back