Self Portrait driving me nuts

astroNikon

'ya all Bananas I tell 'ya
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
okay, I am attempting to learn how to use my umbrella & diffuser. But that's not the initial problem. I'm using myself to practice this. Thus I'm behind the camera, then walk to the front and use my remote IR release to shoot. The camera isn't focusing on me and it's driving me nuts. :meh:

I'm using my Nikon D7000, 85mm AF-D @ 2.8
Remote Shutter, quick response remote.

and it simply does not focus on me.
Behind the camera, If I hit the release button it focuses on the background.
Then when I get in the frame and use the remote it is still focused on the background.

I've tried various AF modes
But this is driving me nuts

Looking for some input.

Set something up where your heads going to be and get the proper focus you're looking for. Once it's achieved, set to manual focus and shoot away.

Get a piece of string. Tape it to the camera. Focus the camera on a target that is located at X number of feet...let's say 3 meters, or 10 feet or ANY OTHER CONVENIENT DISTANCE that is MARKED on the lens...pull the string out to the target, and snip it off...you now have a piece of string that matches a known focusing distance mark on the lens.

You can figure out the rest.

Is your focus on manual or auto? Are you using a stand to focus on and then standing in the exact place as the stand?

Watch this and maybe you'll get some pointers.

Last edited by a moderator:
That helps alot guys. Thanks.
The PW solution is best but is way above my current budget of $0.00

So I ended up just putting a music stand with music on it at a good height and focused on it. Same concept.
But that makes sense on the string thing as I've seen that used before.

I was hoping there was some setting I was missing where when a remote is used it autofocuses before shutter release. Instead of just at the camera.

So I'm close, I got the concept now .. just have to get some better composition and such.
$01.jpg
View attachment 57910

Cool, I would underexpose the background. Almost black it out.

Cool, I would underexpose the background. Almost black it out.

:scratch:
And how does one do that ??

lol, sorry, you could do it at capture or in post. At capture under expose the whole seen so that all you get is a black screen. Then, Add off camera flash to yourself until you get yourself exposed properly with nothing else lit.

Okay. I did that experimenting with f/22 and OCF with some toy dinosaurs. Lol

I don't shoot Nikon so I'm not sure why it isn't focusing before shooting. All my Canon bodies do. Perhaps it's a setting on the remote itself?

If you can't get it to work with your current setup, I'd suggest trying a wired release with a half press button.

I have about a dozen of these, and they work extremely well....

Amazon.com: Remote Shutter Release for Canon Rebel T2i, XT, XTi, XSi, XS, T1i, EOS 550D/1000D/450D/400D/350D/300D: Camera & Photo

If you need more length, you can always buy an adapter. I have a few, and they're usually around $5 for a 10-12 foot cord, if you shop around. Since the only thing the remote is doing is closing a circuit, there shouldn't be a lag issue.

And the remotes I linked above also slide lock in place for doing long exposures. For a few dollars, they really are a great deal, and may come in handy more than you'd think.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks
I thought of the corded release but wanted more distance and simply got one of those one button IR releases. Guess they dont do much. Ive only used them for astronomy shots up until now where everything has been manual.

Is your focus on manual or auto? Are you using a stand to focus on and then standing in the exact place as the stand?

Watch this and maybe you'll get some pointers.

Tee, thank you for posting that video. I will be trying that this weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:
Astro- you should be able to manually focus. Check your settings (and your lens) to ensure you have everything set to manual focus.

This was my attempt last year after watching the video I posted (2 light set-up):

$Me3.ws.jpg

And then one with some creativity. I stood one foot in front of the light towards the camera (1 light set up with a film camera for prop).

$Me5.ws.jpg

after researching a bit more, if I put my D7000 focus on AFA-Auto
then with the ML-L3 IR remote, the camera focuses before taking a picture.
Though that is without OCF, I have to set everything up again to test it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back