Self Portrait procedure?

Nwcid

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.jbnokesphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I would like to take a full length self portrait. For those that have done this, how do you trigger your shutter?

If I was doing a head shot I would just remote trigger.
Do you just get everything set up and set a timer?
I will be shooting tethered if that makes any difference.

I use a wired timer remote, program a delay of 10sec, an interval of 2sec and 20 shots. AF-S on the area where the face is supposed to be.

I use my wireless remote with a delay set.

Thanks guys, that is what I was thinning. Just was not sure if there was a better way.

I use a wired timer remote, program a delay of 10sec, an interval of 2sec and 20 shots. AF-S on the area where the face is supposed to be.
This is what I do, but using the built-in timer/intervalometer. I typically use a 10s delay and 2s between shots, but max out at 9 shots with the native functionality on my D500. I like to pre-focus and then turn off AF, and mark the floor so I know where to stand. If I just use the timer it’s simple enough but I have to re-pose each time. Using a wireless trigger can help minimize this, but then you have to remember to conceal it during shooting - I typically use a back pocket for this.

Last edited:
Sufficiently new Canons can be controlled via smartphone. That's how I'd do it. Probably compose the shot in live-view full manual then trigger from phone.

When I did a night shoot full length portrait I used a remote trigger, just coping my hand so the red light could not be seen

What camera are you using?

With Fuji and Olympus and some others you can use a mobile phone App to view the screen, compose the shot, select focus point, adjust exposure and trigger a shot with a timer delay so you can put the phone down.

As a simple alternative, put something like a coat stand with a football on top where you'll be standing. Focus, press shutter using the interval timer, walk in position, move the coat stand, strike some poses.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Probably not a lot of science to this but here’s what I discovered.
Anyway on my Canon what I discovered is if I use the self-timer the camera will not focus, or refocus. That could be critical if using very shallow DoF. If using a remote trigger the camera does refocus if that’s important to you. If not then turn AF off.
BTW, I know self-portrait somehow sounds more sophisticated but today they’re just called selfies!!! Go ahead, admit it, you’re just taking a selfie!!! LoL
Good luck
SS

Do you have a camera with a rotating touch-screen LCD on the back ? (Nikon D5600 for example).

If so, you could opt for the low-tech method of folding out the LCD to point towards you, and then tape one of those "pens" people use with touch-screen devices to the end of an extension (piece of dowel, etc). That would enable you to preview the photo, tap to focus and take the photo without your having to move your head / upper body....

If so, you could opt for the low-tech method of folding out the LCD to point towards you, and then tape one of those "pens" people use with touch-screen devices to the end of an extension (piece of dowel, etc). That would enable you to preview the photo, tap to focus and take the photo without your having to move your head / upper body....

rofl, that's ridiculous.

get a remote trigger. In the least, the ML-L3 can be had for like $5.

I use radio flash triggers to activate the shutter.

my tip: get the focus achieved, then put the camera in manual focus so it's not trying to refocus every shot for no reason -- especially if you have thinner DOF. I have often dropped a tape measure in front of where I'm sitting/standing then wheeled up a figurine to that spot to grab the focus, then moved myself back to make sure it's good.

If anything, I'd say getting the focus nailed and consistently accurate is the hardest part of all this -- that and not looking like an absolute fool, which for me is nearly impossible.

experiment with the 2 second timer and your remote. If that isn't enough time, use the remote and the 10 second delay.

Lots of good tips. As in my sig line, I am shooting a Nikon D850. Yes it integrates with my phone, just not while tethered. For half body or less shots I can easily see using a trigger. With a full body pose having your trigger would really dictate what kind of poses you could do.

I ended up cheating. A friend who is also a photographer was free today so I set up the studio and she did the shooting.

Here is one quick image from the session. It is the only one I processed so far because it is one I know my wife will like.

John.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back