Self-Portrait

I'll have to check my files...when we have power [emoji26]

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Don't use that "p" word! We are going to get that storm tonight. Wish you had kept it out west.
We haven't had water since Friday. And are having only 8-10 hrs of power a day right now. [emoji26] Hopefully you guys handle the storm better than central texas.

Both my kids lost power with the ice storm we had Saturday for 2 days, this will be round 2.

I'll have to check my files...when we have power [emoji26]

Wish you had kept it out west.

Out West? I'm out west and it was beautiful and sunny today!!!
We don't have cold problems, well, actually we do...., tonight it's supposed to get down to 37 degrees..., BRRR!
But we do get blackouts for heat or wind and they've been for as long as 4 days! So last year we installed a generator that automatically turns on if there's a power outage!
But I do wish a lot of the country good luck and stay safe, on both fronts!
SS

Well in North Carolina anything beyond Nashville is considered "out west". lol

I figured as much [emoji28].

We kept power all night last night! But we are out of water now and the entire town is too. Even the refill stations are out! Started snowing again this morning and hasn't stopped. I feel like this has never ever ever happened here before [emoji24] looking forward to the thaw tomorrow and hopefully getting water back. I hope your kids are safe and warm! [emoji120]

Sorry to get off track! For informational purposes, these are my self portraits. I rarely share them with anyone...hello anxiety! So here you go :)

f3.5....I leaned a broom up on the stool and got my focus there, then pushed it out of the way when I went to sit down.
paigewilks.com-42.jpg

f2.2, grabbed focus on a piece of grass and tried to remember which one as I ran to sit down :p
paigewilks.com-44.jpg

f3.5 (had help here, focused on my son the had him step out)
paigewilks.com-47.jpg

I am assuming you are using a DSLR and shooting indoors. Once you have your background, lights and exposure set up, you can use a wireless trigger and tether the camera to a laptop using a program like DigiCamControl, it is free, in the Live View mode. This way you can see what the camera is seeing so you can compose properly. I use this program all the time when I shoot portraits and have the camera tethered to the lapt0p. It is a lot better than trusting the LCD on the back of the camera and you do not have to move to see what the finished image looks like.

if you have a Canon camera check out the Canon Connect app, you can use wifi with a cell phone and it supports liveview with some models.

@paigew those shots are great!

Just to keep it on topic, this is about the only "self" portrait that I can remember. On a day hike up the paradise lost trail on Mt. Rainer. Shot with my old travel camera, Cannon PowerShot A540, which takes surprisingly decent photos for a little pocket camera.

It's 10 years old, but I haven't changed, still bald, still old, still ugly as sin. lol

PS. We dodged the bullet on the ice storm, 50 miles west and 30 miles north got slammed, some still without power.

IMG_0888.JPG

Any ideas how can I get a portrait of myself using my own skills and my own taste?

The only limitation is your imagination!! I did this one awhile back, here's a few thoughts from my Phillip Marlowe shoot.
  1. It's possible to shoot a selfie wide open if you have a simple shot, throw in some extra set props, and it's a lot easier to work in the f7.1-f/11 range.
  2. How you trip the shutter depends on the set and shot, in this one a remote wasn't possible as both hands were "occupied", so timer was the only option. Not seen are tape X's on the floor for each foot, and a small dot on the blind where the fingers went, and I knew the brim of the hat had to be between the 4th and 5th slat to catch the light in the eyes.
  3. I learned that getting into character with good bourbon in the prop glass, isn't the best idea if you plan on taking more than a few shots. :aiwebs_016:
Dark-1.jpg by William Raber, on Flickr

Tripod, timer or remote shutter release. please

Tripod, timer or remote shutter release. please

See above. "How you trip the shutter depends on the set and shot, in this one a remote wasn't possible as both hands were "occupied", so timer was the only option."

I do self portraits as test shots where I want a catch light in the eyes. Otherwise, my bust of Julius Caesar who has been with me for 35 years, when I place him on a wooden stool, his head is at nearly exactly the height of most people when my posing stool is set all the way down. I get focus on digital of film, there is a tape under the stool and my posing stool goes in place. I'm getting ready to take some test shots of a 150 mm soft focus medium format film lens with various discs so will set all 6 lights on julius, then fire with remote trigger on digital, then self timer on 2 film 35 mm. The mf doesn't have a timer so bought a bulb with 15 foot tube. Sometimes I clamp a plexi mirror to a light stand so I can see where the shadows fall. I am doing a comparison of 67, 645, 35 mm portra and 3200 b&w film and digital all under identical lighting. Did a selfie holding my guitar and couldn't time it with my eyes open so did a Clint eastwood version of brim down with a cowboy hat.

Most reactions

Back