Selling photos at fairs

I know someone posted that it's his charisma that sells his photos, and that could be for when he is selling in person, but his largest order to date actually came from a lawyer whose never met him (or me) but saw his France photos online and was moving soon and ordered 15 photos for her new home.

So if I didn't note this before, one place to sell might be to new home owners (like if you can get contact names from realtors in the area or something), though our son never tapped that market. Another idea from last year (that came too late to use last year and we forgot about it till now as I type so it's too late to likely use again this year) is to go around on Thanksgiving weekend, when people first put up their holiday lights, and take photos of their house at night and offer to print and mat it for them or to make holiday cards for them using it.

Our son did the same wine festival again in May and I just wanted to let people know he did better the first day this time than he did both days the first year, and then the second day he sold nearly three times what he sold in both days last year, so a far more successful show.

He showed more framed pieces this year (which cost twice what the matted only pieces cost) and that seemed to help. He also mixed more fractal art with the photography and one of his fractal images was a big seller....so much so that we ran out and had to just take orders for it on the last day.

He has been accepted into a holiday mart in December and we'll see how that goes. Last weekend, there was a FREE (no fee for artisans) art fair at our lakefront and we were bummed that our son didn't know about it to sign up. Next year, they will likely start charging for it. But that is a venue where they provide the tents and electrical hook up, but you need lighting as it goes till 9 PM (something we haven't needed for the daytime wine festival) and we aren't quite sure how he'd display the work either since it's not like the tent is our own to set up a quick and easy display (as my husband did using just some plastic strips [with velcro for the matted pieces and make-shift holders for the frames] hanging from our tent). The ProPanels and stuff like that looks swift, but can get pretty costly fast.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back