Selling Photos

Goldeeno

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
goldeeno.zoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I think i posted this in the wrong section earlier....

I recently went along to a track day, and one of the guys that was there has asked me if i can send him 8 of the photos ive taken of his car. He says he doesnt mind paying, and has asked if i can send them on a CD for him to keep.

Anyone sold anything like this, and have you got an idea of how much i should charge. Never sold a photo, so some advice please.

From another site that deals with track day photos, they charge £10 for a CD and then £2 per image on that CD upto 10 images, after that there free.

Examples of photos:
2250684950_2e6ccc84fc_o.jpg

More at http://www.flickr.com/photos/goldeeno/

Cheers
Andrew

basically you can charge what you like.
how much would you be happy with?
and would you be happy giving him the cd so he can make as many prints that he likes?

photography is an open cheque book .

you charge what you think people will pay or you charge what you think they are worth.

sorry not much help i know

It depends on the use of the photos.

You own the rights to those images, so if you are selling him the right to make his own prints (for example) then you should charge for that. If you are giving him total rights/ownership of those images, that's also something that you would want to charge for.

If he just want to have them, to look at, then that's not a big deal, just make sure that he knows that you still own the rights.

He wants them to keep for himself and to have blown up if he wants.

Someone said i cant stop him from using the photos in other ways, unless i have a written agreement. But i guess i can email him about that.

I was thinking of just emailing him and getting him to agree to just keep them for personal use, and not to be sold on further without my concent.

As i might have the chance to do some more stuff like this, reduce the price a bit, try and get some word of mouth credit etc.

(And cheers for the replys guys)

it may be worth doing your first few for a reasonable price and give them the cd.

cause if they mix in these circles word of mouth can always be good

One option would be to give him a set of files that are low resolution and have your name/copyright watermarked on them. That way, he can see them, but if he wants a print, he will have to order it from you.

On one hand, you want to be a good guy and not over charge him because it could lead to more work and good word of mouth. On the other other hand, you don't want to give everything away because people will expect the same from you, from then on.

Now's the time to sit down and decide if this is something you intend to do as a business, or just a hobby you might make a few buck off of now and then.

If you're serious, then you have to decide NOW what to offer and how much to charge for each level of product - low-quality images on CD for viewing only; high-quality images with one-time reproduction rights (in which case, do NOT give him a CD!); all rights to do with them whatever he wants and as many times as he likes (this must be his most expensive option!) ... or some other plan.

But whatever you decide, understand that word-of-mouth can be great, or it can be terrible. It's great if he passes the word and tells people he got great shots for a decent price. It's terrible if he passes the word that you're a "beginner" and that you'll do anything for cheap.

Believe me, if these people can afford the kinds of cars I saw in your example, they can certainly afford to pay a decent price for pictures of their very expensive "toys."

It's time to make up your mind. Only you know what your time and skill is worth.

Be fair; be honest; be business-like.

Not to float my own boat, but there was an offical event photographer, and her photos were good, but were the same all the time, no creativity, but she caught the cars well.

Personally i loved the images that came out, and feel there much better than are provided by the people that cover the track days.

So im inclinded to go with you "Sandspur" and have a real sit down and think about it, like anyone, if you can even make £10 out of it its worth while.

Although this case might be slightly different, i would never have gone if this guy hadnt invited me, and he was a genuine sound chap, so i think ill sort him out with a cd, and not over charge him, but stress i would like him to reffer me if anyone else would like a copy for any reason. I think hes genuine enough to keep his word.

So thanks alot for all your help guys. Great as usual!

Andrew

be sure to ask this guy, when spreading the word, to say he got his photos at a reasonable price and do not get specific.

Let him know you are trying to make something of yourself with this and are growing so prices may rise or be different from here on out.

I need this answer too, cause i'm gonna sell photos to bands, skateboarders, and things like that. So I need to know the proper price to sell my high quality photos.

be sure to ask this guy, when spreading the word, to say he got his photos at a reasonable price and do not get specific.

Let him know you are trying to make something of yourself with this and are growing so prices may rise or be different from here on out.

Or state a regular price of X and a special discount for this guy. Others simply don't get the special discount and you already have a base.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back