Sending Large Images over FTP?

wittyism

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm having someone edit my images and I need to send all of them to him via ftp. In total it is about 600 images. What is the best way to format the files so that they are as small as possible but don't loose any quality? I need the final product to be 300 dpi and have a transparent background. I was thinking about sending them as .psd file and then having him send them back as .psd files as well. The reason I wanted to do this is because I will be editing them first, then I can save them as .psd files, then he will edit them and send it back as .psd files. And then I can insert that .psd file into my InDesign document with a transparent background. Is there a more efficient way to do this? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I haven't found an answer online for this. Thanks.

Compression has little to no effect on images because there's almost no "empty" space; it might help a little, but probably not enough to make the effort worth-while. Just stuff 'em all in your upload directory, start the FTP process and go to bed. As for file-type; either .dng or .psd based on your post.

Are you absolutely sure that sending 600 files to get edited as necessary? That sounds like overkill.

What are you trying to accomplish? The only way that this make sense in my head is if you're doing some kind of yearbook-type thing where you're trying to print a lot of headshots. If this is the case, you could go ahead and size the images down to pretty close to what you need (for example, there's no reason to send a file that is 13 inches tall you you only need it 3 inches tall).

Most reactions

Back