Senior / Dance

frommrstomommy

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My husband's cousin was visiting this weekend and we decided to do a few impromptu photos after dinner last night. We had next to no time at all because dinner ran late but we did manage to get a few. I have NO idea what the editing is looking like on these.. on the new computer. Calibration software should arrive this week sometime!! :)

But anyway.. CC welcome! Dance photos proved to be quite difficult between her capris and my never having photographed dance before. It was fun though!

1Samantha-1-5 by capturedbybc, on Flickr
2Samantha-2-5 by capturedbybc, on Flickr
3Samantha-3-4 by capturedbybc, on Flickr
4Samantha-5-3 by capturedbybc, on Flickr

I really like the third one but on my computer it's wayyyyyy too dark. She seems to be very energetic and cheerful, but it doesn't come through to the fullest extent with the underexposure.

Exposures look off to me, the first two are so light and the last two as mentioned are dark... Would have looked nicer to have the hair in the first one arranged so it was either in front or over her shoulder so there aren't strands showing along the shoulders.

The dance poses are interesting and against the water was a cool idea but might have looked better if the shore didn't bisect her. I'd think about the space, there's plenty above her head in the last one, and about the leaves framing the shot - I like that look but it helps to watch for leaves/branches sticking into the edges of the frame.

I think you really wanted to have had the camera positioned much lower on the leaps. Still...I looked at them at 2,048 pixel size on Flicr...pretty decent quality at a VERY challenging time of day for motion shots! Many people would totally blow that scenbario with way too slow of a speed and maybe even missed focus. Underexposed? Well, the last one is, yeah, but the second to last looks accurate...I mean...what is the "right" exposure at twilight? I mean...these look accurate to the light level that I expect would be there at that time of day, just based on sky color. I give you big props just for being able to hit focus on a moving target, and to make the right camera-handling choices.

I mean...what is the "right" exposure at twilight?
IMO that would mean using flash to light the subject with sufficient power to either balance with the background sky or have a light ratio so the subject is about 1 stop brighter.

I had actually underexposed in post trying to create somewhat of a silhouette. I guess I failed. lol I'll try to post one without the underexposure and see what you all think.

I mean...what is the "right" exposure at twilight?
IMO that would mean using flash to light the subject with sufficient power to either balance with the background sky or have a light ratio so the subject is about 1 stop brighter.

I think flash at twilight would look pretty cheezy most likely, and would probably kill the mood. It's like "flash at midnight"...it always looks fake and inappropriate....not everything needs to be bright...twilight is a subtle time of day...I have an entire gallery of images on my pBase site devoted specifically to twilight shots-- NONE of which have 5100 degree Kelvin flash spoiling the realism.

This would have been better starting with the original larger image where the selection would be better and I could get away without the sharpening halos but this is the idea.

84619b.jpg

NICE EDIT, Lew!!!! Wow, that crop is simply amazing...it distills the scene down to its purest essence. Honestly, I did not really see that result being within that original frame. This is one of the most impressive crops of yours that I have seen, and I have seen many.

Great crop and processing. Love it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back