Senior Portraits -- First attempt, C&C! (I know there tons of these, pretty please?)

dMau1986

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Over the last weekend I shot my girlfriends' younger sister's senior portraits. This is my first portrait attempt in general, so it was all pretty new to me. I didn't charge of course, as it was a great learning experience. (Since she was youngest of three, the mother requested a group shot of all her kids in their letter jackets, which explains the final two pics)

Since I won't be able to re-shoot, I would particularly like PP advice from those of you with senior photography experience. What do people like to see in a final edit? What makes the client happy?

Below are a few of my favorites, but if anyone is really curious to help, here is a link to the full set on my flickr:
Laura's Senior Photos - a set on Flickr

5059904708_4babd96ee6.jpg

5059293569_28bf840105.jpg

5059292919_26afe9936d.jpg

5059292479_d25024401d.jpg

5059293223_3c85166144.jpg

5059293801_75ffb43fe4.jpg

5059904056_92a65c9376.jpg

5059903188_4a9960b80c.jpg

5059904882_16aa821963.jpg

Great photos! Not enough time for total critique but all very sharp and well composed! Just me or am I seeing a tad of vignetting around the edges?

So nice to see an actual photo thread on 'the photo forum...'

Great job lighting #6 without bad shadows..
#5's beautiful, love the light and how she's 'peeking' out.
Great expression on #7, background is nice too. Not sure about the cut off elbow but it's not really hurting the picture.

Personally I would have liked to have seen the group shots from a few steps back.

Overall a good job I'd say

Great photos! Not enough time for total critique but all very sharp and well composed! Just me or am I seeing a tad of vignetting around the edges?

Actually I am glad you only see a "tad" vignetting, because I was afraid I had overdone it.

So nice to see an actual photo thread on 'the photo forum...'

Great job lighting #6 without bad shadows..
#5's beautiful, love the light and how she's 'peeking' out.
Great expression on #7, background is nice too. Not sure about the cut off elbow but it's not really hurting the picture.

Personally I would have liked to have seen the group shots from a few steps back.

Overall a good job I'd say

Thanks!

The group photos were cropped, so there is room to back out. I'm not looking at them now, but I would imagine there was some other stuff in the shot that cause me to crop that tight. I'll have to check. Thanks for the input.

These are great! Good clarity, great light, composition.... I'll bet she was thrilled! Good job =)

*the only thing I'm not fond of is the elbow chop in the first picture..but her expression is great, and I love the light there, so it makes up for the shot. Still love this set.

Thanks for the comments.

Anyone with senior portrait experience care to chime in regarding the post processing/framing choices I made? I really want to make sure these can pass as quality senior photos and that she will be really happy once they are printed.

These are very nice shots. I like 5 & 9 best because it captures the mood.

I'm in the same boat as you, NOT a portrait photographer, but I have to agree with everyone else, I think you did a fantastic job. I'd be proud to admit I did those.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back