Sensor Cleaning

superhornet59

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I've had my D80 since December, and i knew this was coming my god i have sensor dust!

being 16 I dont have money to throw around spending 80 dollars (mind you im in canada) to havemy camera taken away for 2 days and be cleaned.

Im at the point where im just about desperate enough to use a sensor swab, but my parents will rip me to shreds if i void the warranty.

actually, if i swab my sensor but something else breaks, is the warranty still void?

Anyway what on earth do I do??

You can always cone out the dust in photoshop, or Nikon capture has a program that compares two photos and can find the dusk on your sensor and will take it out of your pictures. Often times the first time you try to clean your sensor you end up getting more dust on it. You can try a sensor swab just be careful.

I've had my DSLR for almost 2 years, changing lenses all the time. The only cleaning I've ever done was to put it into cleaning mode...turn it upside down (open front to the floor) and then use a blower bulb to blow the dust off. That's it.

I'm sure there is some dust on my sensor...but it's really only a problem when shooting a small apertures...and even then it's easy to just clone the spots out with photoshop.

I hear cameras attract more dust when theyre new for some reason,hopefully itll stop bothering me eventualy, but right now the spots and other crap are really pretty bad, like visible at 6.3 (which is the max aperture at 200mm for my 18-200, so they show up alot).

On top of that i usualy shoot jpeg, dont have a computer to edit on (i just burn photos onto cd's when i get the chance), so alot of my photos arent even edited yet. the software really isn't an option for me anymore, unles it could work jpeg's amd do batch cleaning, because i don't have the spare time to touch up every photo.

The dust i have is pretty bad though, and its the 'welded' kind. theres no more my blower can do...

Just a thought...when you change lenses...do you turn the camera off? I've heard that if you leave it on...it attracts a lot more dust.

But if you do have all that stuck on dust...then you will need the sensor swabs or something like that.

Visible at 6.3.. that is some large dust usually dust only becomes really visible at aperatures over ten. Try what Mike said. just use a blower bulb. Cloneing them out is the best way to ix dust without posing any threat to your camera.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back