another sensor cleaning post

Hi!! So it was recommended to me to try and clean my own sensor. With my canon I think I had my sensor cleaned 6 times in ten years LOL. But my sony, I've had 6 months and it's SO dirty, I'm currently cloning spots of 1000000000000 portraits right now. Is this just bad luck or does the sensor get dirtier more easily on the mirrorless?

Any recommendations on what kit I can get on Amazon prime (have a shoot next week). Does it matter that I get the exact match size of the little cleaning swab (to my sensor)? Sony a7iii
This thread is amazing. I was going to say that I looked at my Oly EM1.2 HiRes images at 100% and found no dust (purchased camera in 2018) but I looked again and, sure enough, there was one dust spot. cleared it by removing lens, turning camera on/off while blowing w/canned air. Rechecked and all was good.

Good thread. I’ll order my stuff. Have 3 very dirty sensors. Funny thing is my old T2i is the cleanest. Probably because the same lens always stays on. My XT1 has a huge spot on the sensor, never remove the lens, but it’s what I use for bad weather conditions. It was a hand me down so no $ out if I trash it.

My XT1 has a huge spot on the sensor,
Not to scare you, but are you sure the spot is dust or grease/oil. If it's the latter, the cleaning solution/swabs won't remove it. For that you need ROR (see my previous post). It isn't difficult, just make sure to only pull your swab once across the sensor, flip over, do it again, then throw away the swab.

Yeah, not sure. And above it was mentioned about something under the top layer of the sensor on their XT1. At least it’s 1 big blob, not multiple like my Canon.

Not to scare you, but are you sure the spot is dust or grease/oil. If it's the latter, the cleaning solution/swabs won't remove it. For that you need ROR (see my previous post). It isn't difficult, just make sure to only pull your swab once across the sensor, flip over, do it again, then throw away the swab.

Only in one direction, just in case that wasn't clear. Once across, flip, once across, throw it away. I do my own, Eclipse kit and as someone else said, the price of a Pec Pad vs a scratch on a camera sensor, there's no reason to cut corners for 6 cents?

I've never tried the sticky or the pre-conditioned and I have to say, I must be lucky as I've never had grease or oil on a sensor. Thanks for the advise, at least if I do, I'll know that paddles and fluids aren't going to remove that.

When I had my d 700 sensor, it took extra time because it was so dirty the guy had to rent a backhoe.

Actually in most cases you aren't even touching the sensor but the anti aliasing filter in front of the sensor.

've never tried the sticky or the pre-conditioned

I've tried the sticky stick. The problem with them is it's had to judge how hard to press. You can end up leaving goop that's hard to get off.

Last edited:
This is what I use
6bO90yVh.jpg

tEFzRVgh.jpg

Just follow the directions on the box. It has worked every time I've had dirt on my sensor.

I use primes so change lenses often including in the field or at the beach. The last time I had the sensor cleaned he said he had to bring in a back hoe. Just kiddin. But I don't clean it my self.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back