Sensor Size: Micro 4/3 and Lumix LX5?

lespaul

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
With all the hype surrounding micro 4/3 cameras, Im wondering if I should upgrade my Lumix LX5 for the GX1.

I absolutely love my LX 5 and have no reason to upgrade, but in terms of sensor size i I read somewhere that the the m4/3 camera has a sensor that is 4x larger than the LX5? Is this correct? Where on this sensor comparative chart would the LX5 fall?

From what I understand the LX5 has a sensor size of 1/1.63" (8.07 x 5.56 mm) - CCD
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5: Digital Photography Review

$sensor-compare.jpg

Forget it - I answered my own question. Just saw this page just now - http://www.dallasartsrevue.com/resources/Cameras-n-Lenses-I-Use.html

On the above image, the LX5 is the aqua blue line (namely the 1/1.6") above.

In terms of actual numbers, it works out like this:

LX5: 8.07mm x 5.56mm = 44.87 mm sq. of area
m4/3: 13mm x 17.3mm = 224.9 mm sq. of area

Actually the m4/3 is 5x larger!!

Any input on how the LX5 would compare to a m4/3 would be great. Thanks

Last edited:
I say go for it. I went from a full Canon DSLR (Canon 5D and 1DmarkII) and replaced it with a micro 4/3 system (G1, E-PL1, OMD EM5) when I decided I no longer required the weight. I still shoot with my LX3 occasionally but I'd say the image quality from micro 4/3 is noticeably better; competing with the mid to lower tiered APS DSLRs. I prefer the Olympus micro 4/3 due to in-body image stabilization as I adapt lenses.

The only major performance loss between a DSLR and Micro 4/3 is autofocus tracking of moving objects. Since you are coming from an LX5, I don't think it would be a huge concern for you.

There's a whole community at Mu-43.com to help with more questions specific to micro 4/3.

This thread should be of interest

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...cts/284092-everything-evil-you-comes-out.html

Do you research as Olympus and Panasonic have slight design differences that should be considered before choosing. But don't worry, they are both good at maintaining compatibility across all micro 4/3 lines. I myself have Olympus bodies but mostly Panasonic lenses.

PS> .. Subforum?..

Last edited:
Hi usayit, thanks so much for the links and overall feedback!

Im with ya! I also have a DSLR (Nikon D90) which is great, but in the past few months I have left it at home in lieu for my LX5 - all due to weight issues.

I'll definitely check out the forums you mentioned, but it looks like the GX1 will be on list.

Its also great that Lumix/Panasonic and Olympus lenses are compatible, not sure yet which one I will go with. Both Lumix and Oly have great retro styling which I really like, unlike some of the other models on the market (Nikon, Sony, and now Canon).

I also really like the number of accessories available on the Olympus: http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_pen_accessories.asp

So hard to decide....

I have a Panasonic G1 with zoom and a tiny CV 35mm 2.5 which crops to my fave 70mm and I admit that my Sony A35 , 35 f1.8 often gets sidelinsd as the G1 even more compact .
Of course , the later models are much better .

Most reactions

Back