Sent the camera off to be cleaned...got a new one instead?

Renol

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
About a week ago I dropped off my 50D at bestbuy to have them send it out to be cleaned. The camera was a gift along with the super wonderful replacement/warranty plan along with it which includes free cleanings once a month.

Today I checked on the status of it and it said it needed to hear from the customer before they could move forward. Didn't think much of it, but I called up the store anyways. The guy looks up the order and says "You've been authorized for an exchange." Confused, I said to him, "But I just sent it in for a cleaning..." He told me the store has no say over that stuff and that they probably just found something that needed fixing and it wasn't worth repairing. There's no notes or anything included in the order just "Authorized Exchange"

So now I'm wondering if I should bring it in next month and get a new camera all over again! :lol:

Better be careful with that one ... Best Buy "warranty" is terminated after they replace the camera once. You might have gotten a 3-year plan with the camera; but, now that they've replaced it you might not have coverage anymore ... I'd look into WHY they replaced it and if you are still covered ... :er:

Actually they replaced it at the store with a new camera under the manufacturer's warranty so the replacement plan is still in effect, but yea the camera was working fine when I dropped it off. 3000+ pics since christmas and the only odd thing I've noticed is an occasional shutter hiccup (shutter lags or doesn't sound the same as the actuations before). Even so, I'm leaning more along the lines of "we messed up". If I didn't have the warranty plan I'd be livid if I got a broken camera back.

On the bright side I was able to replace the kit lens for free. Mine was missing a small chunk from the filter mount ring from when I fell through some ice and dropped the tripod while the camera was mounted on it.

Last edited:
Best Buy warrantys are horse $hit to be frank. Everytime Ive had one they find some reason to tell me to F myself for example I had one of those plans for an Ipod and the thing just stopped working. So I brought it in and they sent it in on a manufactures warranty and after a month I had to call because god knows they didnt they tell me that they sent it back and I could pick it up. So when I show up they hand me it and I try and turn it on and it still didnt work and I ask WFT? and the douche behind the counter says that Apple didnt fix it because it had "water damage" and it automaticly voids the warranty (That closest that Ipod had been to water was about a foot but that water was in a bottle) so then I tell them thats not possible but whatever because I figured that my super awesome Best buy plan would cover it but then he proceeds to tell me that that also voids that super awesome plan. leaving me , yup you guys guessed it. A$$ED OUT! F best buy and their dumb "PROTECTION" plans.
Sorry for the long post but just needed to vent

If I was the one paying for it I probably wouldn't have gotten the plan...or the camera from BB for that matter. In all seriousness the cleaning is worthless. I'm doing a 365 and even though it's for my own benefit, I'm not willing to part with my good camera for 2 weeks...especially when a week of that is the camera sitting around on a shelf before they get around to sending it off. Not to mention now I can't trust them. Either the guys at the store broke it or the geek squad techs broke it. Regardless, what happens next time? Do they just hand me back a broken camera and say "It's not our fault...must've been broken before you sent it in."

While I'm kinda happy about getting a new camera, I'm not willing to gamble with them again.

Best Buy warrantys are horse $hit to be frank. Everytime Ive had one they find some reason to tell me to F myself for example I had one of those plans for an Ipod and the thing just stopped working. So I brought it in and they sent it in on a manufactures warranty and after a month I had to call because god knows they didnt they tell me that they sent it back and I could pick it up. So when I show up they hand me it and I try and turn it on and it still didnt work and I ask WFT? and the douche behind the counter says that Apple didnt fix it because it had "water damage" and it automaticly voids the warranty (That closest that Ipod had been to water was about a foot but that water was in a bottle) so then I tell them thats not possible but whatever because I figured that my super awesome Best buy plan would cover it but then he proceeds to tell me that that also voids that super awesome plan. leaving me , yup you guys guessed it. A$$ED OUT! F best buy and their dumb "PROTECTION" plans.
Sorry for the long post but just needed to vent

I have to agree fully with your rant. To me BB is one of the most disreputable people to deal with. In order to have their warranties enforced you have to jump through all sorts of hoops. I had bought a cellphone from them many years ago and went with the extend warranty but, when the battery died with in the first six months they would not replace it unless I had the reciept with me, this despite the fact that the manager of the store sold it to me and, remembered me because I was his first sale at that store. I asked why dont you just punch it up in the system like Circut City? He stated they could but I still had to have the reciept, which was 50 miles away at home. So the next week I came with the reciept and, they found some magic reason that they couldnt honor it. I have never stepped into one of their stores again since and, will not. Id rather deal with e-tailers or, local merchants because they are more reputable.

Most reactions

Back