Roger

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
mrlowlight.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
282301044_xZQpJ-L.jpg

Nice results...real nice. Can you share technique?

that is awesome! I would like to see a B&W version but the picture itself is amazing!

Nice results...real nice. Can you share technique?

thanks glad you like it....technique...I use a converted Canon 300D with L lenses in this case a 17-40. I process the RAW file in Adobe Bridge doing minor adjustments to exposure, fill light, recovery etc. Then I work on the created PSD file in photoshop and choose adjustments>b&w then choose a filter, usually green then click ok. I then work on various adjustment layers for different sections of the image to get the detail and tones I want before doing a sepia tone. On this image I also used a local contrast action of 200pxl to give better separation and add to the sky. Save the file then downsize for the web at 72 pxls then smart sharpen 100% at 0.4 pxls.

That's pretty freakin' sweet, Roger!

thanks very much Neal.

Interesting, I like it. Is it "real" IR? or just a filter and some photoshop?

thanks a lot....real IR? That's an interesting question, what real IR is. A lot of people consider film to be the only real IR....but then what is regular digital photography. I think whether you use film, digital, IR filter or a converted camera (my case) it's all real, just a different means of getting to the same point, an image.

that is awesome! I would like to see a B&W version but the picture itself is amazing!

thanks a lot....I don't have a straight b&w version.

Wow! I think I found a new computer back ground. Where was the photo taken?

Roger said:
thanks glad you like it....technique...I use a converted Canon 300D with L lenses in this case a 17-40. I process the RAW file in Adobe Bridge doing minor adjustments to exposure, fill light, recovery etc. Then I work on the created PSD file in photoshop and choose adjustments>b&w then choose a filter, usually green then click ok. I then work on various adjustment layers for different sections of the image to get the detail and tones I want before doing a sepia tone. On this image I also used a local contrast action of 200pxl to give better separation and add to the sky. Save the file then downsize for the web at 72 pxls then smart sharpen 100% at 0.4 pxls.

Thanks for sharing...You have opened my eyes to many things here including making images look better on the internet. I looked up Adobe Bridge and learned you must be an Apple byter. Then I googled 'Canon 300D conversion' and found another day's reading at LifePixel.com. Thanks again, learning keeps me alive.

Roger said:
....real IR? That's an interesting question, what real IR is. A lot of people consider film to be the only real IR....
While were are in 'ponder' mode - PhotoShop has forever removed the meaning for real. When the last film photographer passes, IR will become simply an ancient art form. We are actually close to that day when most photographers don't know what the letters IR stands for. Soon, someone will rename the technique of digitally removing color and be lauded for it.

Couple days ago I posted a shed, questioning reasons it's lifelessness. But what now strikes me, after again viewing your awesome shed...it's the sky, missing in my 'mossy shed' but your rock shed & sky complement each other, like 2+2=5.

The shot itself is excellent and your added effects add to its visual appeal. Very well done!

thanks a lot....real IR? That's an interesting question, what real IR is. A lot of people consider film to be the only real IR....but then what is regular digital photography. I think whether you use film, digital, IR filter or a converted camera (my case) it's all real, just a different means of getting to the same point, an image.

"Regular digital photography" involves an image that has been placed onto a digital sensor after first passing through a filter deliberately designed to REMOVE infra-red wavelengths. This filter, present on all digital cameras, exists for the purpose of ensuring that the recorded image resembles as close as possible what the human eye sees. PP procedures can not restore the IR wavelengths but can create an image that looks like a true IR image.

Thanks for sharing...You have opened my eyes to many things here including making images look better on the internet. I looked up Adobe Bridge and learned you must be an Apple byter. Then I googled 'Canon 300D conversion' and found another day's reading at LifePixel.com. Thanks again, learning keeps me alive.

While were are in 'ponder' mode - PhotoShop has forever removed the meaning for real. When the last film photographer passes, IR will become simply an ancient art form. We are actually close to that day when most photographers don't know what the letters IR stands for. Soon, someone will rename the technique of digitally removing color and be lauded for it.

Couple days ago I posted a shed, questioning reasons it's lifelessness. But what now strikes me, after again viewing your awesome shed...it's the sky, missing in my 'mossy shed' but your rock shed & sky complement each other, like 2+2=5.

thanks Paul, glad to have stimulated the learning process...I'm actually a windows user btw :D....photoshop...real...perhaps we should change the word to original, or 'as perceived by the eye' and variations from that are interpretations. This discussion has been had many many times, in the end what concerns me is the result of my endeavours, not so much how I got there....but then I have been told I'm quite the pragmatist :D.

The shot itself is excellent and your added effects add to its visual appeal. Very well done!

thanks very much.

"Regular digital photography" involves an image that has been placed onto a digital sensor after first passing through a filter deliberately designed to REMOVE infra-red wavelengths. This filter, present on all digital cameras, exists for the purpose of ensuring that the recorded image resembles as close as possible what the human eye sees. PP procedures can not restore the IR wavelengths but can create an image that looks like a true IR image.

yes I am aware of this....I haven't made any reference to producing 'look alike' IR images in PS.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back