Serif PhotoPlus X7 as an editing suite, any good?

Sailing Smudge

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Another newbie question,

Looking at editing software, is the PhotoPlus software up for the job? i would rather spend £79.00 in a one of payment than sign up for the £8.57 per month for the Photoshop subscription.

Thoughts?

From some of the literature out there, it seems to have all the basic stuff you'd want for photography. Photoshop has a lot of other things that this software likely doesn't, or is not complete - stuff for prepress and web design - things that a photographer wouldn't need. These features, along with Creative Cloud integration with other programs like After Effects and Premier is a big chunk of what you pay for.

If you're going to do graphic design, then I'd say look more closely. But for basic photography, it seems to have the core tools that I'd be looking for: 16 bit, non destructive editing, layers.

It's lacking a sophisticated HSL tool - something that I think even Photoshop could improve on (there hasn't been a good HSL tool since Asiva).

If you're willing to take on a learning curve, Photoline is my favorite editor. It can do things Photoshop just can't and costs about 80 euro iirc, so it's in line with what you're willing to pay. But it's a bit of an odd application, in particular in how it handles layers.

I am new to the world of photography, so any editing suite I buy I will require to learn, so I have the learning curve regardless of package.

There are lots of editing software these days, and most offer tools that look similar. The devil is in the details though, algorithms and engines are different and the quality of the finish product, i.e. your photo may differ drastically as a result.

I have never tried PhotoPlus but I do not expect any miracles here tbh. Most photogs use either PS+LR, Capture One Pro or DxO as far as I know.

Lightroom is a standard that is used by many photographers and I would rather bite the bullet, spend a bit more but get a reliable, proven convertor/editor with good cataloging system. Which Lightroom is. You can buy it with one off payment.

If you want the best, at the moment, in my view, Capture One 8.3 Pro is simply amazing. New HDR engine is great, Clarity, Gradients, Sharpening work are great, you can do some advanced things like changing colors with local adjustments in layers etc. So basically it is a high quality all-in-one solution that I would ultimately recommend.

Anyway, do not buy without trying. Most software offer an online one month free trying period. So you can play for several months with various editors and later decide which one to go for.

Lightroom kinda blows and I always feel a bit like "that's it?" when I use it. I only use it because it's included with my CC subscription. CaptureOne and Silky are both WAY better - but $$. If you're still in the "ducks and sunsets" phase of getting to know your way around the camera, I wouldn't suggest investing in that level of software yet - you wouldn't know where to begin in utilizing them as they require a relatively high level of technical understanding of both photography and digital darkroom.

If you're just starting out there really is no need to go with PS, and as far as algorithms are such go, I don't think there is a lot of merit there. There are slight differences in how one tool might render when the same values are applied to an equivalent, but I really, really doubt that it is significant - and certainly not in terms of finished quality. The big feature that affects quality among consumer-oriented imaging software is 16-bit support. I do not consider something a "proper" photography application unless it can fully support 16 bits per channel.

Raw conversion though is an entirely different kettle of fish, and yes, the variation between one application and another is pretty significant. But for editing, I wouldn't worry too much about that and for a beginner getting to know the software that came with your camera will be far more beneficial than investing in a $350 raw processor.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback, it is much appreciated :)

You can buy the photoshop elements 11 or something for 90 euros here in Finland, sure its everywhere else.
I have used the Serif x5 and its a nice program my main issue was it was rather clunky feeling but if you have not used both programs side by side might not notice too much and not as flowing as photoshop is, but it is a whole lot cheaper. If you download the serif trial and sign up to emails about 20 times a year (It feels like that at least) they give offers for there software offering x 6 for 9 euros! So dont rush and purchase something, I manage to use a trial of lightroom then another trial of the CC package from abobe so I had 2 months before I signed up to the photography package which also they happened to email a special offer having it for on 8.95 per month with 2 months free.

Thanks Seventen, I have found another post on here that was talking about the same thing, and how you can work through free trail periods before buying which is what I think I'll do once my camera has arrived.

Also photoshop 2 is a free download from the adobe site somewhere, GIMP is a free program but uses only 8 bit editing but good to start with, also there is artweaver as a free program but can be purchased later if need more features.
At least with Nikon there is various programs for editing that are free, I used to use these and enjoy them until I tried lightroom and found how much quicker it was. But if you are just starting out speed is most likely not your priority.

If you're just starting out there really is no need to go with PS, and as far as algorithms are such go, I don't think there is a lot of merit there. There are slight differences in how one tool might render when the same values are applied to an equivalent, but I really, really doubt that it is significant - and certainly not in terms of finished quality.

One simple example regarding algorithms - Highlights and Shadows implementation. In Lightroom as well as (to a lesser degree) Capture One 7 it affects mid tones rather badly. LR engine here is just weak, Capture One 7 was stronger but made mid tones a bit dirty. Capture One 8 Pro though works so much better it is effectively HDR. Huge, huge difference.
And by the way I do not understand why a beginner should spend money on a lesser editor, only to spend again later on a better one. I think, if anything, it is much easier and faster to edit photos in a good pro quality editor, as it does a lot of things automatically when converting RAW files. It would take a lot of effort, and experience to get a similar result with a lesser engine.

Last edited:
As I said. RAW converters is an entirely different issue. But specifically "highlights and shadows" is not a "basic" adjustment - in fact, these kinds of adjustments are really pretty new. We've made great images without them (and frankly, contrast masking is better anyway).

For a beginner, I do not think it is wise to spend anything on raw converters, with the exception perhaps of a CC subscription. For everything a beginner needs will be in the software shipped with the camera. Lots of people get into photography and find it's not really their thing. What then? You've got a $350 package that you've never fully utilized.

Now - back to CC subscriptions. Yes, it is true in the long run it will cost more, however, it will take quite a while before it adds up to what you'll end up paying for equivalent software from Capture One or DXO or Silky.

If you're like most people, every month you spend $10 on something stupid and completely unnecessary anyway. If you're really worried about the monthly cost, just skip that trip to McDonalds (or drop your cable TV subscription, which costs WAY more than a CC PS/LR subscription and cable TV sucks anyway). But really - do you think much about what you spent four months ago, let alone some measly $10 purchase?

Another option is LightZone. This was a $200 raw processor that has been GPL'd and is now free to download. I haven't used it for a long time. But it does get good results.

I used "Highlights and shadows" option in CS3 Photoshop, introduced more than 8 years ago. Hardly new. The other thing is that it has seriously evolved since. Contrast, masking or not, is a completely different proposition, it will affect mid range just like "highlights and shadows" versions of 5 years ago.

I used "Highlights and shadows"
I use highlights and shadows as well. I'm not saying it's not useful, but it's far from an essential tool.

introduced more than 8 years ago. Hardly new.

You make me feel so old!

Contrast, masking or not, is a completely different proposition, it will affect mid range just like "highlights and shadows" versions of 5 years ago.

It is very apparent that you do not know what a contrast mask is.

You might want to try ACDSee Pro 8. It sells for 60$US right now, and is quite powerful. You can download it for a 30 days trial period.

Most reactions

Back