Service/Cleaning 80-200 2.8d Worth It?

quiddity

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
How much is lens service/cleaning?

I have the opportunity to purchase a Nikon 80-200 2.8d AF ED from a friend who got this via his dad's estate.
The problem is that there is some type of translucent gunk (not dust, not mold) inside the lens on the glass.
It almost looks like an oily type residue or other liquid (ie. there are visible air bubbles).

Other than that, the lens seems to operate properly and no, I haven't taken any pictures with it yet.

I can get this lens used from "reputable" online stores for around ~$650.

Would it be worth giving my buddy $150 for the lens and take on cleaning/repairs?

Last edited:
If you could get it that cheap and if it is restorable then I'd think it worth it. I see the 80-200 single ring lenses going for ~$500+

Where are you?

It's hard to recommend possible repair stations with such an ambiguous location in your profile.

If it is some kind of gunk that got on the inside somehow. It very well may be worth it to have the lens cleaned. If it goes beyond cleaning, then you may get into a higher financial obligation. Would your friend be willing to let you send the lens in. And if it comes out useable, then pay him. If it is not useable, you return it to him, and you just take the loss on the cleaning fee?

A reputable repair shop will provide an estimate before any cleaning is done, so the only cost exposure would then be just shipping.

Is it just on the front element? Because that's pretty easy to clean yourself--you just need a spanner wrench to remove it.

You might be able to have it cleaned professionally for $100 or less. Which would make it a pretty good deal--single ring 80-200mm are typically worth around $400, more if they look mint.

A lot of people buy dirty/broken lenses on ebay and fix them for resale. I acquired a few 80-200mm lenses from an estate sale, and one (a single ring non-d version) was very dirty inside--I put it on ebay describing the issue and someone still paid $250 for it.

I guess it makes sense, for someone that knows what they're doing cleaning these lenses is simple, and they can turn around an sell it for $400.

Most reactions

Back