Set construction, (100% Entirely built from scratch, walls included)

DougGrigg

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.douggrigg.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
$901325_10200701905405972_425962718_o.jpg

Okay, here's a set construction I was a part of directing and working alongside a team of around 6,

we constructed and shot the image in 3 days. our theme was post-apocalypse type of thing, we weren't really too worried about
the story too much, but the lighting and how everything is set up, for me particularly was the lighting, I designed and was a big part in the set up, we have 2 Aux lights has you can see pictured, one large studio 500 bowl light in the skylight. 2 softboxes and one blast light to bring up the model (that's all I can remember as it was pretty hectic haha) we also had to source all items and create all graphics in the image in a week with a budget of (£100)

$577234_10151260578817127_1608481017_n.jpg

What are everyones thoughts on this construction? I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed bringing it to life!

Nicely done! Looks like a fun project. I totally "got" the post-apocalyptic thing right off the bat. Something you might not be aware of is that the man looks somewhat like "The Professor", from the old American TV show "Gilligan's Island". The Professor was always tinkering with science and projects and making gizmos for the group of castaways who were stranded on a small, nameless isle somewhere "offshore" in the South Pacific, I guess it was.

GIlligan's Island + The Professor - Google Search

Gilligans island? i'll definitely have to look into that haha! the guy was a choice of around 6 other people we casted in the shoot, he is a radio actor and he got into character a bit much and was rather scary! You definitely got the vibe he was desperate to create an air filter if you were there behind the camera ;P!

Looks great!

The only thing to me is the fact the currant bun (Sun) looks like it's been freshly delivered, rather than been there a while (based on the growth down the hatch).

Looks great!

The only thing to me is the fact the currant bun (Sun) looks like it's been freshly delivered, rather than been there a while (based on the growth down the hatch).

We thought the same thing, but unfortunately if we dimmed the lighting down at the back and used the side lights to compensate we actually lost the light and feel from the Auxiliary lamp lights, if we dimmed the back light down on its own also quite alot of information begins to be lost :( so we had to meet in the middle with that

Set looks good but a car battery attached to the lights would have answered the question of where does the electricity come from.
And the desk lamp might have been better used, I think, directed on the person.

That's awesome! Looks like TON of work to put in for a photograph-which makes it that much more satisfying.

It looks much better when viewed larger, the smaller version isn't doing it justice. I'll bet it's great as a huge print.

In terms of lighting, I'm a bit torn....it looks good and I like the lamps and 'hole' in the ceiling. But the fairly soft light that is lighting him, just doesn't seem to fit...it's too perfect, if you know what I mean. I get that it probably wouldn't look any better with more realistic 'dingy' lighting...but as I'm cursed to deconstruct the lighting in every image I look at...it does stand out to me.

I love it, man! Well done. I'm big into zombies and apocalyptic stuff, so it's very appealing to me. Now off to watch "Shaun of the Dead" for the 100th time! :)

Here's a shoot which a few of my friends put together (This was shot in a pitch black studio with no natural lighting sources) I actually prefer this alot more than the one I worked on, but you can see the correlation
$set construction hoarder.jpg
I think its a brilliant idea based on that of a hoader

Most reactions

Back