Setting up a room studio with 1 flash light and 1 softbox with fluorescent bulb

muratowski

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Dear thephotoforum.com community,

I need your help about setting up lighting system inside my room. Its not a big room. But quite enough to make a mini studio for amateur fashion photography.

I'm in a progress for creating my own little studio in order to take my own pics with clothes (using myself as a model as well), solo apparel, recipes...etc.

I've already bought a white backdrop which is quite big enough, tripods for backdrop, a tripod for the camera in order to take my own picture.

As a lighting equipment i've bought so far a flashlight (Yongnuo Speedlite YN460), 1 softbox 40 x 60 cm included with 1 fluorescent bulb (not giving so much light but may be quite useful). I've also ordered a simple 32cm beauty dish for flashlight. You can see the pics of these equipments and a general view of my room in attachments. It's really hard to say about the size of the room, but probably its something like 20 m2.

Although its a small room, my shootings will be mostly vertical and they will be often about men's fashion concept. The pictures will be in white background.

Since i'm going to create my own blog,i'm trying to create my own concept but first i need to understand the ideal lighting system for me with this current equipment,

1- Can you draw me a lighting scheme and give some instructions?
2- How about shutter speed, f point and other configurations needed for the perfect full body fashion shot in white background? I will be really thankful for any help.
By the way: DSLR: D3000, Lens: Sigma 17-70MM

Best Regards,
Murat Ozdemir

Attachments

• $Flashlight2.jpg
    $Flashlight2.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 175
  • $Softbox2.jpg
    $Softbox2.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 186
  • $View of the room (2).JPG
    $View of the room (2).JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 155
  • $white backdrop2.jpg
    $white backdrop2.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 166
Perhaps you should read this Light Science and Magic: An Introduction to Photographic Lighting: Fil Hunter, Steven Biver, Paul Fuqua: 9780240812250: Amazon.com: Books so you have a better understanding of lighting and how to use it before you sink money into items of questionable value.

Thanks for the books you recommend. I'm actually a newbie about studio lighting. I've just already watched a plenty of tutorials from youtube and read some blogs. I even made my own trial. I'm just trying to get more ideas for the current equipment i have.

Maybe i better simplify the question more: How about a lighting scheme (positioning) for 1 flashlight + 1 40 x 60 softbox with 1 bulb inside for full body shot? :)

Best Regards,
Murat Ozdemir

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back