Setting up YN560-III flash with Nikon D5100

pablohon2

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just got a YongNuo YN-560 III flash that I'm trying to set up for use on my Nikon D5100 camera. After going through both manuals I just can't figure out how to get the flash to work. I've found terms such as iTTL and CLR and have no idea if and how those are affecting this. I assumed I would be able to connect the flash to the camera and it would know to override the camera's flash, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Then I saw the flash has different pin settings/channels and thought that might be why but I can't figure out which to use.

I figured I didn't need a transmitter/receiver or cable unless I wanted to use the flash on its stand, off the camera. I guess it would be nice to know how to do that.

Reading the description and reviews on Amazon I assumed this flash was compatible, but if I need to exchange this flash for one that is iTTL, CLR, etc. I will (suggestions around the $80 range would be great)

I am obviously new to this so any basic help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Are you trying to trigger off camera?

Last edited:
Assuming that means that when I push the shutter release button that the YN-560 III goes off, then yes. I'd eventually be interested in knowing how to trigger the YN-5600 III when it is not attached to the camera, but for now I can settle for triggering it when I push the shutter release button.

are you sure that the yongnuo flash is Nikon compatible and not a Canon model?
to trigger it off camera, you are going to need a radio trigger.

It's supposed to be compatible with Nikon and Canon. Is a radio trigger always required for these external flash units?

if trying to fire the flash off the hotshoe, then yes, typically--but not nessecarily.

otherwise, there should be no reason you cant fire the flash on the hotshoe...unless you got a Canon version; they aren't universal.

I just tried going through the different preset modes and the YongNuo flash fired when I was in Action mode, which has a preset of the camera's flash being off. Just need to figure out how to get it to trigger in the other modes and in Auto.

I have the YN 560, it is compatible on both the Canon and Nikon, even the film cameras that I own. It is a cheap flash, you have to manually set the flash every time that you shoot.

1. Did you try the flash in the hotshoe? And if you did, did it fire?
2. Off camera the flash will fire by one of three ways; radio remote, cable remote, or "slave" mode. Slave mode means it will have to sense another flash, such as the built-in flash. The slave will fire at the same time as the built-in flash.
3. Carefully read the instructions that came with the YongNuo. It should say what system it is compatible with.
4. If it is only for Canon, then you will have to adjust it manually and fire it either with a cable, a radio, or in slave mode.

All it seems like he's trying to do is fire it on camera.

Try this.
Make sure the camera and flash are both turned off.
Then,put the flash on the cameras hotshoe and lock it in.
Turn on the camera and then turn on the flash.
Set the flash to Manual 1/4 power (or whatever power you want to try)
Put the camera in manual mode and set the aperture for anything(try f8) and put the shutter speed at 160 or 200.
See if it fires now.

Last edited:
I am also using Yongnuo YN560 flash and it worked seamless on Nikon D5100 though if you want to use it OFF Camera ( any place other than Hot-shoe), you will need to buy Radio Triggers seperately

On Camera, you need to switch on Flash, wait for Green power-on light to turn red ( I hope that's the correct sequence).
Press the MODE button until you see M in Top row of Display, set the flash power to 1/1, 1/2, etc and you are ready to go

Most reactions

Back