Setting white balance with a gray card

When shooting sports I always use a Lastolite LL1250 and like it. Works fine, but then it is a 12% gray card, not the older 18% that Ansel Adams so loved.
That's exactly what I'm using, pictured above. Sounds like it might just be a quality control issue, as mine is definitely not color neutral, and doesn't produce consistent results. I looked at product reviews on various sites, and pretty quickly found the same complaints I have. At least these complaints seem to be the exception and not the norm. The ones quoted below are from B&H.

I suspect that you don't. I got mine years ago when Lastolite was putting them out with 12% gray on one side and white on the other. All their gray targets are now 18% gray.

When shooting sports I always use a Lastolite LL1250 and like it. Works fine, but then it is a 12% gray card, not the older 18% that Ansel Adams so loved.
That's exactly what I'm using, pictured above. Sounds like it might just be a quality control issue, as mine is definitely not color neutral, and doesn't produce consistent results. I looked at product reviews on various sites, and pretty quickly found the same complaints I have. At least these complaints seem to be the exception and not the norm. The ones quoted below are from B&H.

I suspect that you don't. I got mine years ago when Lastolite was putting them out with 12% gray on one side and white on the other. All their gray targets are now 18% gray.
keeping in mind that the percentage has nothing to do with the light-dark value of the card (and so nothing to do, specifically, with white balance).

I just eyedropper a white spot (usually a blown-out highlight) and get decent results.

keeping in mind that the percentage has nothing to do with the light-dark value of the card (and so nothing to do, specifically, with white balance).

I just eyedropper a white spot (usually a blown-out highlight) and get decent results.
In theory that is correct, however in the real world that may or may not be, depending on the materials used. That is where some problems lie. A different batch of dye in a slightly different shade could be the culprit due to the composition of the chemicals in the dye, the materials used or the finish. It is hard to tell.

...and is too warm as can be seen in the bottom edit (bottom right).

subjective. i think it looks much better than the shot above.

shoot raw, calibrate the WB in post for your session that youre happy with.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back